Pumpkin Seed Porter v2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated as I am having a brew day this coming Monday. I've tweaked the recipe around just a bit and got beersmith to help out with some number--here's what i've come up with:

Pumpkin Seed Porter

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WYeast 1028 London Ale
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size: 5gal
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 31.2
Boiling Time: 60 mins
Color: 27.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation: 7 days, 68oF
Secondary Fermentation: 14 days, 68oF

Ingredients:
6.6 lb Pale LME
12 oz (0.75 lb) Chocolate Malt
8 oz (0.5 lb) CaraAmber
8 oz (0.25 lb) Crystal 40L

1 oz Northern Brewer (60 mins)
0.5 oz Cascade (60 mins)
0.5 oz Bullion (30 mins)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)

6 cups Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ cup Brown Sugar

-Cover cookie sheet with tinfoil. Spread out pumpkin seeds on sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top of seeds. Bake at 350 for roughly 15 min, turn seeds. Continue to bake at 350 for roughly 10-15 min more or until seeds are starting to brown or lightly burn. Gently crack seeds and place in muslin bag with specialty grains

-Bring 2 gal to 170 oF, steep specialty grains and pumpkin seeds for 30 min, discard (or make some doggie treats with the spent grains)
-Stir in both cans LME, 1oz Northern Brewer hops, and 0.5 oz Cascade hops and bring to boil for 30 mins
-Add 0.5 oz Bullion hops and continue boil for 15 mins
-Add Irish Moss and continue boil for 15 min
-Remove from heat, place 3.5 gal cold water into primary fermenter, then hot wort
-Cool to 65-75 oF then add yeast.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 cups Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ cup Brown Sugar

-Cover cookie sheet with tinfoil. Spread out pumpkin seeds on sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top of seeds. Bake at 350 for roughly 15 min, turn seeds. Continue to bake at 350 for roughly 10-15 min more or until seeds are starting to brown or lightly burn.
-Let seeds cool slightly, place in secondary fermenter
-Rack beer onto seeds
-After time in secondary, filter through hop bag to bottling bucket to bottle

I have this sitting in the secondary right now. Looks and smells great. This is for a gourd beer competition we have in our local homebrew club.

This turned out GREAT!
I took 2nd in the competition and everyone who tasted it thought it was very good. The keg is kicked as of this post, and I'm pretty bummed about it. It was getting better and better with age.
Thanks for the recipe.

I got a couple cups of pumpkin seeds from last year that Ive been thinking of mashing when I get a chance. I dried them out in the oven last year and they smell very spicy when I open the jar that holds them. Maybe Ill see what I get from the carving pumpkins this year and toss them all into something similar.

It's that time of year again. Pumpkin everything. I'm not really too into the pumpkin spice world, but I really do like this recipe and will be brewing it again next. I acquired 4# of raw pumpkin seeds and plan to put 1# in the mash, 1# in the boil and the other 2# in secondary. I'll try to remember to update this when brew day comes around.

Interesting. What flavor does the pumpkin seed provide?

Also since you're adding the cinnamon to the pumpkin seed rather than directly into the wort/beer, I assume some gets left on the cookie sheet and doesn't make its way into the brew. How strong or subtle is the perception of cinnamon in the final product?

The seeds will give you a roasty, nutty flavor. Make sure you use seeds with the shell on them. I just brewed this again and used shelled seeds and it was pretty astringent.
As far as the cinnamon is concerned, it is really not all that up front IMO. If you are wanting to get a cinnamon flavor in the final product, I would add some at another point in the process.
I brewed this for a pumpkin beer contest and don't really like the average pumpkin beer so I wanted to do something a little different. It was well received.

The seeds will give you a roasty, nutty flavor. Make sure you use seeds with the shell on them. I just brewed this again and used shelled seeds and it was pretty astringent.
As far as the cinnamon is concerned, it is really not all that up front IMO. If you are wanting to get a cinnamon flavor in the final product, I would add some at another point in the process.
I brewed this for a pumpkin beer contest and don't really like the average pumpkin beer so I wanted to do something a little different. It was well received.

Thanks for the info! I think I would like the cinnamon more in the background with this technique. Feel like I missed the boat for a pumpkin beer this year, but maybe I'll roast the seeds from the kids carving pumpkins and save them in a mason jar for next year.

Back