Help No sign of Fermenting - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help No sign of Fermenting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
DuffManMississippi
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Picayune
Posts: 111


I have a batch of Old castle Brown Ale from Midwest in my carboy that we did Thursday night and it seems that there is no sign of fermenting within 3 days. I use Whitelabs Liquid yeast it got alil warm for 1 day without be refrigerated (it was still wrapped with a freezing pack ) then placed in the fridge until we needed it again. When i shacked the yeast there was plenty of micro bubbles in the bottle yeast seemed to respond well. i don't know if we need to re-pitch another batch of yeast or what. Plz help thx much.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,922
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts


The only accurate "sign of fermentation" will tell you what is happening is your hydrometer reading. If you were referring to "airlock bubbling" that is NOT a trustworthy thing to go by.

Whether it's in a conical, a bucket, or a carboy, it's the same thing. An airlock is a VENT, a VALVE to release excess co2, nothing more.

If it's not bubbling it just means that there no excess co2 to be vented out.

A beer may ferment perfectly fine without a single blip in the airlock.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks. The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" like repitching, without first taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Germelli1
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Blacksburg/Herndon, VA
Posts: 2,156
Liked 37 Times on 37 Posts


What did your hydrometer reading say?
__________________
If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
HalfPint
 
HalfPint's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Houston
Posts: 1,771
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Did you take a gravity reading? Perhaps it's already done. Take a gravity reading and see if it has fermented any.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
fineexampl
 
fineexampl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Edison, NJ
Posts: 666
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The only accurate "sign of fermentation" will tell you what is happening is your hydrometer reading. If you were referring to "airlock bubbling" that is NOT a trustworthy thing to go by.

Whether it's in a conical, a bucket, or a carboy, it's the same thing. An airlock is a VENT, a VALVE to release excess co2, nothing more.

If it's not bubbling it just means that there no excess co2 to be vented out.

A beer may ferment perfectly fine without a single blip in the airlock.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks. The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" like repitching, without first taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?
Please tell me you copy/paste this every time this comes up every other day! lol

Love ya Rev!
__________________
Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
DuffManMississippi
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Picayune
Posts: 111

I was actually going to post the gravity readings, the first reading from Monday night was 1.35 or 1.035 its a funny gravity meter and today Sunday the gravity read the exact same 1.35 or 1.035 and no the airlock is not responding but what i was saying as well is that there is no sign of anything going on no head no bubbles in the beer or airlock at all

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
HalfPint
 
HalfPint's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Houston
Posts: 1,771
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Perhaps your yeast was no good. If you can, I'd probably re-pitch granted the wort doesn't smell/look weird (I doubt it would after only 3 days if your sanitation was/has been good).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,922
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffManMississippi View Post
I was actually going to post the gravity readings, the first reading from Monday night was 1.35 or 1.035 its a funny gravity meter and today Sunday the gravity read the exact same 1.35 or 1.035 and no the airlock is not responding but what i was saying as well is that there is no sign of anything going on no head no bubbles in the beer or airlock at all
In order for us to help you, we need as much info as possible and information like what the current gravity reading is or if you took one, and if you don't post it we're going to assume, like 90% of the other threads like this, that taking a hydrometer reading was the least of your thoughts.

Now what was the original gravity before you pitched the yeast? Because if your beet wast 1.050, or 1.060 or anything BUT 1.035, then that's going ot mean you have fermentation happening.

At this stage it wouldn't hurt to repitch, UNLESS it was a really high OG and you've the yeast's attenuation, then there is no fermentables left. But I'm going to assume since you didn't make a starter for the liquid yeast, that you don;'t know whether or not your yeast was viable or not, nor is there is enough cells to do the job. By not making a starter the yeast then needs to reproduce enough yeast to do the job, and that's going to delay things.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
DuffManMississippi
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Picayune
Posts: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
In order for us to help you, we need as much info as possible and information like what the current gravity reading is or if you took one, and if you don't post it we're going to assume, like 90% of the other threads like this, that taking a hydrometer reading was the least of your thoughts.

Now what was the original gravity before you pitched the yeast? Because if your beet wast 1.050, or 1.060 [i]or anything BUT 1.035, then that's going ot mean you have fermentation happening.

At this stage it wouldn't hurt to repitch, UNLESS it was a really high OG and you've the yeast's attenuation, then there is no fermentables left. But I'm going to assume since you didn't make a starter for the liquid yeast, that you don;'t know whether or not your yeast was viable or not, nor is there is enough cells to do the job. By not making a starter the yeast then needs to reproduce enough yeast to do the job, and that's going to delay things.
both gravity readings have been the same the og and yesterdays readings . btw og was takin before pitch though

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,922
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffManMississippi View Post
both gravity readings have been the same the og and yesterdays readings . btw og was takin before pitch though
Is this an extract batch? I'm wondering if the first reading was correct or not, since it's so impossible to mix the extract with water initially, it is difficult to really get an accurate OG reading.

Can you post your recipe? We can see what it should be, and if it was higher than betting your current 1.030 is the currect gravity right now, you may have had slow fermentation.....

But either way at this point it wouldn't hurt to add more yeast....
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's this for a sign. coy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 25 03-12-2010 07:30 PM
Pitched the yeast.. been 9 hours and no sign of fermentation. BarleyAndApple Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 09-22-2009 02:57 PM
Is this a bad sign? manley Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-18-2008 10:30 PM
24 hours no sign of fermentation? swirly_boy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 02-21-2007 09:40 PM
Good sign or Bad sign ? BrewProject Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 08-02-2006 02:10 AM


Forum Jump