Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Height of your false bottom from the bottom of the cooler...

Old 08-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Apendecto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Height of your false bottom from the bottom of the cooler...

I've got a few 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers that are going to become mash tuns. The false bottom that I am looking at can come with a stand that raises the false bottom 1.5 inches off the floor of the cooler. If I raise it to 2 inches I will be just over my ball valve, where I can add a dip tube to collect the wort off the floor of the cooler.

So my question is, is a false bottom 2 inches off the floor of a 10 gallon cooler the end of the world?

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apendecto View Post
I've got a few 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers that are going to become mash tuns. The false bottom that I am looking at can come with a stand that raises the false bottom 1.5 inches off the floor of the cooler. If I raise it to 2 inches I will be just over my ball valve, where I can add a dip tube to collect the wort off the floor of the cooler.

So my question is, is a false bottom 2 inches off the floor of a 10 gallon cooler the end of the world?

Thanks.
I use a Rubbermaid 10 gal.MLT when doing 5 gal. batches,but my dip tub is above the false bottom leaving very little deadspace. Since the Rubbermaid only looses about 1*F/h after preheating, I should think a 2in. deadspace would not make much difference except for the enzymes trapped in the deadspace. Modern malts have an abundance of gluconace enzymes, so you should ok, IMHO........

Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

i brewed my first 10g batch in my rubbermaid keggle affair this weekend. Also the first time with a home made FB. It is on stilts so it is above the drain, I have a dip tube (vinyl with a brass T for weight) so little dead space (unless I misuse the term). All was well except that I had a ton of grit and endosperm passing by the FB and clogging up my ball valve. I will be re-installing a short 2" loop of screen on my dip tube.

As for the water under the FB during mash, I am no expert and no help with science, but the mash acted as though it was much thicker than it was. I did manually recirculate the water under the FB severaltimes though. Seemed like the least I could do.

All was well, hit my 70% eff. Wicked looking Septemberfest Ale.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcalais40 View Post
i brewed my first 10g batch in my rubbermaid keggle affair this weekend. Also the first time with a home made FB. It is on stilts so it is above the drain, I have a dip tube (vinyl with a brass T for weight) so little dead space (unless I misuse the term). All was well except that I had a ton of grit and endosperm passing by the FB and clogging up my ball valve. I will be re-installing a short 2" loop of screen on my dip tube.

As for the water under the FB during mash, I am no expert and no help with science, but the mash acted as though it was much thicker than it was. I did manually recirculate the water under the FB severaltimes though. Seemed like the least I could do.

All was well, hit my 70% eff. Wicked looking Septemberfest Ale.
Hmmm. Good points.