Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > AHS Imperial Stout - which yeast?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
doctorRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuldTuborg View Post
I'd swirl, rather than shake. Shaking will get more oxygen back into solution, which is not good at this point, but swirling the beer around in the carboy should rouse the yeast with little to no risk of oxidation.

I don't mean to come off as an ass, but whether it's done or not is not a matter of opinion. Your hydrometer will give you the facts. If you're concerned about attenuation, it would be prudent to check the gravity and make decisions about how to treat your beer based on that reading. I'd hate for the beer to be at 1.010 or so and see you swirling it trying to get greater attenuation yet.
Well it is more than a swirl than a shake, Hard to shake a bucket with an airlock on it, poor word choice on my part. But even so, there is probably no oxygen in there - the headspace should all be c02, and so that shouldnt be a risk.

Also, the beer is near 10% abv, and has been fermenting for about 8 or 9 days now and there is still lots of airlock activity. Ignore the airlock for a minute, and I still wouldnt call this done regardless of a hydro reading, a beer this big could use a little bit more time with it's yeast, conditioning

Making beer is not a race. I dont have to rack it off the yeast as soon as it's done.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 555 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 386

I agree with you 100% on this. I just wanted to make sure you actually weren't picking it up and shaking it. I imagine that would necessitate taking the airlock out, wouldn't it?

I made a RIS with US-05 in March. It dropped 5 points in the secondary, which was weeks 7-11 of fermentation. Big beers like this often need lots of time, as you've said. Since 04 flocs a bit better than 05, I suppose it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a little swirling, but I'd still opt for a gravity reading. That way you know whether to let it sit and condition quietly, up the temp and swirl a bit, or whatever. However you decide to proceed, I hope it turns out delicious!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Any help is of course appreciated. I'll probably take a hydro reading in a few days... I use a water tub method for fermenting, after the first week I always stop putting frozen water bottles and let the beer warm. From what i've read, there is no harm in this, as the phase in which esters are produced is over .

11 weeks of fermentation... holy cow. I can't do that I only have one fermenter!
Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
kwantam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With the money you saved by not doing one brew every 3-4 weeks over that 11, you should buy yourself a 6 gallon Better Bottle

Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwantam View Post
With the money you saved by not doing one brew every 3-4 weeks over that 11, you should buy yourself a 6 gallon Better Bottle
It's on the list but I just bought the stuff for a mash tun and an immersion chiller... gonna have slow down a little or swmbo will start asking a lot of questions.