Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BYO 15th anniversary brew

Old 08-27-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
curlyfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default BYO 15th anniversary brew

I decided to attempt the BYO's anniversary brew as my first really "big" beer. It's all grain with adjuncts added for a gravity of 1.114 .

I have a few questions, though:

1. It uses two yeasts, trappist and scottish. Obviously a big starter is neccessary (10 liters according to my software). Should I do two separate starters? Or one big one?

2. It uses "cane" sugar. Is this just table sugar?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

I never even posted the stupid recipe! D'Oh!

(Very slightly modified for what i had available, below is what I brewed)

10# Weyerman Pale Ale Malt
7.5# Vienna Malt
1# Munich Malt
8oz Cara-Amber
4oz Crystal 60l
3oz Chocolate Malt (400l)
Sugar to reach 1.114 SG
Yeast Nutrient (1/4 tsp in 15m of boil, 1/4tsp 1 day after high krausen...day 3)

1.5oz Magnum (13.4 aa) 90m
Whirlfoc (15m)

Mashed @ 143*F for 45m, raised to 152*F for 20m, raised to 170*F for mashout.
Sparged to 7.5g for boiling to final 5.5

Ended up adding 5# sugar by following my *%!!@#& refractometer (see below)

Old 08-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
I decided to attempt the BYO's anniversary brew as my first really "big" beer. It's all grain with adjuncts added for a gravity of 1.114 .

I have a few questions, though:

1. It uses two yeasts, trappist and scottish. Obviously a big starter is neccessary (10 liters according to my software). Should I do two separate starters? Or one big one?

2. It uses "cane" sugar. Is this just table sugar?

Thanks in advance!
1. I would do them separately to make sure each yeast has a chance to grow up. Otherwise you risk one yeast becoming dominant and suppressing the other population -- particularly whichever one is faster to start reproducing and can continue to reproduce and ferment with higher alcohol tolerance.

2. I know beersmith refers to cane sugar as "baking sugar" although I am not sure whether that is confectioners (powdered) sugar or something different. I'm sure a trip to the grocery store could solve that one for you. Beersmith shows both have the same OG but cane sugar adds 0 SRM while table sugar adds 1 SRM to color. You could probably get away with using table sugar in an equal amount if you don't care about the color additions.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've been thinking about this recipe also. Let us know how it goes for you. I've been enjoying brewing big beers lately. This one seems like it'd be a good one.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
r2eng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cane sugar is table sugar.
The only difference between "table sugars" is whether they come from sugar cane or sugar beets.

C&H is cane sugar...

Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
JSomps6
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was tempted by that as well. Let us know how it comes out. You could always try and go higher on the ABV by following something like this:

http://www.homebrewchef.com/120_Minute_IPA.htm

A lot of work... but would be awesome!

Old 08-28-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
curlyfat
Recipes 

Thanks, all. I should be brewing this in a week or two. I'll update as I go.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
curlyfat
Recipes 

Well, I have both yeast starts going (3qt each, then will decant and do another 3qt each). I was worried I had dead yeast from a hot journey since neither smack-pack bloated overnight, but they are krausening now!

Re-reading the directions they say "Ferment for one week or until fermentation is complete", then move to keg to condition, conditions very quickly for such a big beer. Wait, what? I can't imagine moving this monster off the yeast cake quickly! I planned on at least four weeks in the primary before looking at it! Any thoughts on that comment? I would think the guys at BYO would know their stuff...

Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
curlyfat
Recipes 

Well, I brewed this today. All went well, and I used the rest of the runnings for a small beer. My second parti-gyle, let's hope it's better than my first....

Back to the original beer... I added a full 5# of sugar attempting to get sg up, following my refractometer. According to it, I was way under my gravity (1.100), but I went ahead anyway. Well....I checked the cooled wort with my hydrometer and it showed 1.126. Crap! I hope it attenuates.

So, I'm seriously considering using my fancy-ass refractometer as a baseball. My last several batches I didn't even use a hydrometer...wonder how far off those are!

I made a thread about this a while back, and everyone thought I needed to calibrate it. It has always shown zero with RO water.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the beer, in any case.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
curlyfat
Recipes 

I don't know if anyone is watching this thread, but I checked on the beer today (23 days in). The SG was 1.040 (aproximate, I was just quickly checking to get a sense of it). It looked like beer that was "done". Almost no haze even! The taste was super sweet. I used a sanitized spoon to stir and rouse the yeast and added 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer that I happen to have sitting around.

I will say that besides the sweetness, it tasted very nice. Plenty of character from the specialty malts (but nothing stood out too much either), and a nice belgian sense from the one yeast. Hops may as well have been non-existent. In fact, if I'd used more bittering hops this would probably taste awesome right now! Unfortunately, it needs more attenuation.

Any suggestions if my energizer doesn't come through? I was thinking champagne yeast, but am worried about over attenuating with that...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Head to the homebrew store and pick up some amylase enzyme that should help you out. It's not the same as beano. http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/...ase-enzyme-1oz The other thing is that you could have crapped the yeast out. My RIS did that and I ended up throwing a healthy starter of wlp099 in the fermenter.