Experimental Batches - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Experimental Batches

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Malt: Focus on light-malts so that some accidental over-toasting doesn't throw off the flavors between batches.
Hops: Keep it a fairly mild variety and don't let the hops be dominant, but still good enough that you'll enjoy the final product.
Yeast: Safale US-05 or S-04
That's a good point but in the OP he said no roasting and no malting. I don't know of any commercially available gluten-free malted grains to use, but I could be wrong.


__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #22
jap0knees
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
That's a good point but in the OP he said no roasting and no malting. I don't know of any commercially available gluten-free malted grains to use, but I could be wrong.
maybe soon I could start to sell my GF malts.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


I'm sure you would have buyers then
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
DKershner
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
So then the 1st experiment should be 100% BRS...what style shall it be?
So ill do two of the bottles with a coffee beer experiment I already had planned, that should work well.

The third, I will just make a 100% BRS beer. Probably blonde or maybe a light lager if I really get ambitious.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #25
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 97
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


There are guys in Aussie working with non malted grains and adding enzymes. I managed to get my hands on some and have given it a go with buckwheat, millet and chestnuts.

They recommend using pullulanase, alpha amylase, beta glucanase, amyloglucosidase, and a protease.

I contacted a company called novozymes, and they sent me out 100mL trial samples of each for free. I use between 1 and 3 mLs for each batch, so these "trials" will last quite a while.

I have to say that none of the brews I made were exceptional but they were all drinkable.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/foru...hl=gluten+free

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/foru...7&#entry476237

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/foru...3&#entry499703

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #26
Leeinwa
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Moses Lake
Posts: 109
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
There are guys in Aussie working with non malted grains and adding enzymes. I managed to get my hands on some and have given it a go with buckwheat, millet and chestnuts.

They recommend using pullulanase, alpha amylase, beta glucanase, amyloglucosidase, and a protease.

I contacted a company called novozymes, and they sent me out 100mL trial samples of each for free. I use between 1 and 3 mLs for each batch, so these "trials" will last quite a while.

I have to say that none of the brews I made were exceptional but they were all drinkable.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/foru...hl=gluten+free

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/foru...7&#entry476237

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/foru...3&#entry499703


Wine and beer making is chemistry, pure and simple. Natural chemistry works great and man induced chemistry CAN work great also. All the enyzmes being used is just another way to reach the same goal as natures way. More and more big breweries are using shortcuts with enzymes to go faster, use less expensive ingredients and save money. Malting is getting expensive for several reasons, but will probably give the best quality products due to the micro chemistry going on that we can't duplicate.

leeinwa

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #27
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 97
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeinwa View Post
Malting is getting expensive for several reasons, but will probably give the best quality products due to the micro chemistry going on that we can't duplicate.

leeinwa
I definitley agree with that, while we can add in certain enzymes we will probably never be able to replicate exactly what is going on within the grain during the malting process.

Still most of the fun with home brewing is in the experimentation. Looking forward to hearing how these turn out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #28
Leeinwa
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Moses Lake
Posts: 109
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
I definitley agree with that, while we can add in certain enzymes we will probably never be able to replicate exactly what is going on within the grain during the malting process.

Still most of the fun with home brewing is in the experimentation. Looking forward to hearing how these turn out.
I know. That's why it took about 2 1/2 years to figure out the kinks of making beer with chestnuts.

leeinwa

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #29
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
The third, I will just make a 100% BRS beer. Probably blonde or maybe a light lager if I really get ambitious.
If I have time this weekend to get some BRS I'll do a 1 gallon test on this. Thats IF I have time- I am supposed to be brewing a pumpkin ale this weekend too. Not sure what style I'll do, let me look at what hops I have and go from there...maybe a light pale ale.

No MD on these just to see what happens, yeah?
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #30
DKershner
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
If I have time this weekend to get some BRS I'll do a 1 gallon test on this. Thats IF I have time- I am supposed to be brewing a pumpkin ale this weekend too. Not sure what style I'll do, let me look at what hops I have and go from there...maybe a light pale ale.

No MD on these just to see what happens, yeah?
MD?

Good luck on the pumpkin, my jack-o-gluten is probably still my favorite gluten free beer I have tasted. We had a party where we served it in kegs and no one even noticed it was GF.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test Batches for Gluten Free Beer Lcasanova Gluten Free Brewing 26 10-24-2009 03:51 AM


Forum Jump