Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Minimum boil time for extract brewing
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
bigolbigbelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St. Louisan by choice, Missourian by geography.
Posts: 122
Default Minimum boil time for extract brewing

So, I was moved to graveyard shift at work and have found my time to brew is almost none. This is going to force me to move to all Extract brewing. I brewed 5 extract batches before moving to all grain when I first started brewing, So I am not as familiar with the logistics.

I recently came across a Berliner Weisse recipe from NB that only required a 15 min. boil. http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...nderweisse.pdf

Can all of my extract batches be a 15 min. boil?

Would I be losing anything if I do cut the boil time down? (i.e. head retention)

How much would I need to scale down the hop additions with this short of a boil?

I will be doing full size boils if this helps any answers.
Thanks


__________________
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/st-louis-brew-lou/ -St. Louis Brewing Group on HBT
______________________
Fermenting- Dark Crystal ESB, Vanilla Poter, Oatmeal Cookie Ale
On Tap - American Amber, English Pale Ale, Deception Cream Stout
______________________
I work for a few billion single cell organisms. I feed them and keep them happy. They pay me in beer!
bigolbigbelly is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
CrookedTail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue, NY
Posts: 579
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolbigbelly View Post
So, I was moved to graveyard shift at work and have found my time to brew is almost none. This is going to force me to move to all Extract brewing. I brewed 5 extract batches before moving to all grain when I first started brewing, So I am not as familiar with the logistics.

I recently came across a Berliner Weisse recipe from NB that only required a 15 min. boil. http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...nderweisse.pdf

Can all of my extract batches be a 15 min. boil?

Would I be losing anything if I do cut the boil time down? (i.e. head retention)

How much would I need to scale down the hop additions with this short of a boil?

I will be doing full size boils if this helps any answers.
Thanks
You wouldn't need to scale down your hop additions, you'd need to scale them up. The longer you boil your hops, the more bitterness you get from them.


CrookedTail is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,433
Liked 6052 Times on 4312 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Default

The only reason you boil an extract batch is to for the hops- the hops need to boil to isomerize. Berliner Weiss is a different sort of beer- most extract batches with steeping grains require a one hour boil. One hour is a pretty standard boil, since that gets most of the bittering unit out of the hops.

You can definitely boil for less time- but as the other poster mentioned, you'd need more hops to boil for a shorter time and you'd get quite a bit more hop flavor so that wouldn't work very well for non-hoppy tasting beers.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
DrawTap88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,075
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

+1 on stepping UP the hops to get the correct amount of bitterness. But even then if you're only doing 15 minute boils, I'd assume that you'd get a lot more aroma out of the hops than what would be desireable.
__________________
Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye
DrawTap88 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
bigolbigbelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St. Louisan by choice, Missourian by geography.
Posts: 122
Default

Ok, So now I found this http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm This talks mainly about late hop additions, but also talks about pro brewers using only 3 to 4 IBUs for bittering and the rest all late hop additions. Some brewers even leave out the bittering hops all together. They do increase the aroma and flavor hops to make up for this. Now, these are all American brewers, so I will not be doing any kind of styles like an Oktoberfest. I think I am going to try a couple of batches this way and see how it turns out. gonna try one at a 30 min boil and one at 15. I will report back when they are kegged.
__________________
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/st-louis-brew-lou/ -St. Louis Brewing Group on HBT
______________________
Fermenting- Dark Crystal ESB, Vanilla Poter, Oatmeal Cookie Ale
On Tap - American Amber, English Pale Ale, Deception Cream Stout
______________________
I work for a few billion single cell organisms. I feed them and keep them happy. They pay me in beer!
bigolbigbelly is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
redgum
Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
redgum's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sydney, New South Wales
Posts: 54
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Basic Brewing Video did a 15 minute amarillo ale one time. I'm sure you can find it if you search their archives. Nice quick video from James.
redgum is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 3,525
Liked 345 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolbigbelly View Post
Ok, So now I found this http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm This talks mainly about late hop additions, but also talks about pro brewers using only 3 to 4 IBUs for bittering and the rest all late hop additions. Some brewers even leave out the bittering hops all together. They do increase the aroma and flavor hops to make up for this. Now, these are all American brewers, so I will not be doing any kind of styles like an Oktoberfest. I think I am going to try a couple of batches this way and see how it turns out. gonna try one at a 30 min boil and one at 15. I will report back when they are kegged.
I'm guessing the feasibility of this strategy would depend on the price of hops. It would be cheaper to boil 1oz of hops for an hour than to add 2-3 oz of late additions to achieve the same amount of IBU at the end of the day.

Definitely report back...hop prices are pretty good right now.
broadbill is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
DrawTap88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,075
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I'm guessing the feasibility of this strategy would depend on the price of hops. It would be cheaper to boil 1oz of hops for an hour than to add 2-3 oz of late additions to achieve the same amount of IBU at the end of the day.

Definitely report back...hop prices are pretty good right now.
Very true that it would be cheaper to boil 1oz for an hour. But to keep the conversation going, I usually use 2oz of hops in a typical brew anyways. Also, if you only add your entire addition will give you more aroma than a brewer may want in their beer.


__________________
Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye
DrawTap88 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extract brewing, the step child of the brewing family blagoe Extract Brewing 0 04-13-2010 06:31 PM
first time extract brewing 400d Extract Brewing 1 04-07-2010 01:44 PM
What does the boil do to extract? DNW Extract Brewing 14 02-07-2009 02:55 AM
Minimum volume boil for 5 Gal? jelsas Extract Brewing 18 04-24-2007 05:20 AM
Boil time for extract brews Shambolic Extract Brewing 21 09-15-2005 06:03 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS