Should I keep it or sell it - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Should I keep it or sell it

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
jakecpunut
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Mt. Airy "Mayberry", NC
Posts: 454
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts



When I moved to AG and started looking for 1/2 barrel kegs, when I finally DID find someone that had some, I bought 2 of them.

They're not that easy to come by around my area... I have one converted to a keggle with the ball valve and the other is just taking up space...

There's been some folks looking for kegs in my area and I thought about selling the 2nd one but just afraid to let it go haha..

5 gallon batches are no problem with my 1/2 barrel keggle. I also have 22 qt and 20 qt pots for my sparge water.

And, I'm thinking if I do any 10 gallon batches, even with a 15 pound grain bill, my sparge water would be around 8 gallons and I could do the double sparge with 4 gallons each in my smaller pots...

Do you all see any need in holding on to the 2nd 1/2 barrel keg or should I just sell it and use the money elsewhere?

just thinking out loud



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,879
Liked 520 Times on 419 Posts


Well, what other equipment might you need? I certainly wouldn't sell the keg and put the $$ into the "general fund," but if selling the keg got you a good ways towards a pump or a nicer chiller......


__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
buzzkill
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Green Country Oklahoma
Posts: 982
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


I sold one and used the money to get one more corny, but I kick myself for letting it go. they are hard to find in my area.

If you get rid of it you will be helping a fellow brewer. so karma counts.



If you step up to 10 gals. you will need it for a fermenter.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
jakecpunut
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Mt. Airy "Mayberry", NC
Posts: 454
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Well, what other equipment might you need? I certainly wouldn't sell the keg and put the $$ into the "general fund," but if selling the keg got you a good ways towards a pump or a nicer chiller......
Well, to be honest I don't really "need" anything at the moment.. That's kinda I tossed it out there to make sure I wasn't missing something.. I've thought about the CFC and Pump route but dunno? My IC does pretty good but if there was anything I could use it would be that. I have a nice little list but with the birthday and Christmas coming up, the wife wants me to save that stuff for her to get me hahah

I have been eye balling the new IDJ3 at BestBuy though ahaha

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
jakecpunut
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Mt. Airy "Mayberry", NC
Posts: 454
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I sold one and used the money to get one more corny, but I kick myself for letting it go. they are hard to find in my area.

If you get rid of it you will be helping a fellow brewer. so karma counts.



If you step up to 10 gals. you will need it for a fermenter.
Actually I could use another corny or 2, so that may be something good to put it towards. I had been thinking about 10 gallon batches and I "think" if/when I start them, I'd just use two 5 gallon fermenters and maybe try different hops etc etc??

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,879
Liked 520 Times on 419 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecpunut View Post
Well, to be honest I don't really "need" anything at the moment.. That's kinda I tossed it out there to make sure I wasn't missing something.. I've thought about the CFC and Pump route but dunno? My IC does pretty good but if there was anything I could use it would be that. I have a nice little list but with the birthday and Christmas coming up, the wife wants me to save that stuff for her to get me hahah

I have been eye balling the new IDJ3 at BestBuy though ahaha
FWIW, I've swapped recently to a CFC and March pump setup, and much prefer it over the old immersion chiller. It's all a matter of personal preference, but that's what I like better! I just run the hose water full-blast through the CFC and recirculate until I get to pitching temps. I can walk away while it's chilling, whereas with the IC I had to stand over it and stir constantly (or it took FOREVER to chill).

Pump does make brewing a lot easier. Glad that I made that upgrade.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
jakecpunut
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Mt. Airy "Mayberry", NC
Posts: 454
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
FWIW, I've swapped recently to a CFC and March pump setup, and much prefer it over the old immersion chiller. It's all a matter of personal preference, but that's what I like better! I just run the hose water full-blast through the CFC and recirculate until I get to pitching temps. I can walk away while it's chilling, whereas with the IC I had to stand over it and stir constantly (or it took FOREVER to chill).

Pump does make brewing a lot easier. Glad that I made that upgrade.
Thanks for the input! I guess I need to do a little more research on the CFC's and pumps and see what all is involved!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to sell used equipment? Tmeister Equipment/Sanitation 1 10-06-2009 11:04 PM
So should I move it or sell it? Donasay Equipment/Sanitation 28 03-19-2009 08:15 PM
Anyone want to sell me a stirplate? eschatz Equipment/Sanitation 2 09-26-2008 01:28 AM
They sell fermenters at the gas station? BuffaloSabresBrewer Equipment/Sanitation 15 09-05-2008 12:59 PM
Sell it or make it work? joebou4860 Equipment/Sanitation 2 04-24-2007 03:06 PM


Forum Jump