Should I keep it or sell it - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Should I keep it or sell it

Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
jakecpunut
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Mt. Airy "Mayberry", NC
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

When I moved to AG and started looking for 1/2 barrel kegs, when I finally DID find someone that had some, I bought 2 of them.

They're not that easy to come by around my area... I have one converted to a keggle with the ball valve and the other is just taking up space...

There's been some folks looking for kegs in my area and I thought about selling the 2nd one but just afraid to let it go haha..

5 gallon batches are no problem with my 1/2 barrel keggle. I also have 22 qt and 20 qt pots for my sparge water.

And, I'm thinking if I do any 10 gallon batches, even with a 15 pound grain bill, my sparge water would be around 8 gallons and I could do the double sparge with 4 gallons each in my smaller pots...

Do you all see any need in holding on to the 2nd 1/2 barrel keg or should I just sell it and use the money elsewhere?

just thinking out loud

Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 520 Times on 419 Posts

Well, what other equipment might you need? I certainly wouldn't sell the keg and put the $$ into the "general fund," but if selling the keg got you a good ways towards a pump or a nicer chiller......

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
buzzkill
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Green Country Oklahoma
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

I sold one and used the money to get one more corny, but I kick myself for letting it go. they are hard to find in my area.

If you get rid of it you will be helping a fellow brewer. so karma counts.

If you step up to 10 gals. you will need it for a fermenter.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
jakecpunut
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Mt. Airy "Mayberry", NC
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Well, what other equipment might you need? I certainly wouldn't sell the keg and put the $$ into the "general fund," but if selling the keg got you a good ways towards a pump or a nicer chiller......
Well, to be honest I don't really "need" anything at the moment.. That's kinda I tossed it out there to make sure I wasn't missing something.. I've thought about the CFC and Pump route but dunno? My IC does pretty good but if there was anything I could use it would be that. I have a nice little list but with the birthday and Christmas coming up, the wife wants me to save that stuff for her to get me hahah

I have been eye balling the new IDJ3 at BestBuy though ahaha

Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
jakecpunut
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Mt. Airy "Mayberry", NC
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I sold one and used the money to get one more corny, but I kick myself for letting it go. they are hard to find in my area.

If you get rid of it you will be helping a fellow brewer. so karma counts.

If you step up to 10 gals. you will need it for a fermenter.
Actually I could use another corny or 2, so that may be something good to put it towards. I had been thinking about 10 gallon batches and I "think" if/when I start them, I'd just use two 5 gallon fermenters and maybe try different hops etc etc??

Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 520 Times on 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecpunut View Post
Well, to be honest I don't really "need" anything at the moment.. That's kinda I tossed it out there to make sure I wasn't missing something.. I've thought about the CFC and Pump route but dunno? My IC does pretty good but if there was anything I could use it would be that. I have a nice little list but with the birthday and Christmas coming up, the wife wants me to save that stuff for her to get me hahah

I have been eye balling the new IDJ3 at BestBuy though ahaha
FWIW, I've swapped recently to a CFC and March pump setup, and much prefer it over the old immersion chiller. It's all a matter of personal preference, but that's what I like better! I just run the hose water full-blast through the CFC and recirculate until I get to pitching temps. I can walk away while it's chilling, whereas with the IC I had to stand over it and stir constantly (or it took FOREVER to chill).

Pump does make brewing a lot easier. Glad that I made that upgrade.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
jakecpunut
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Mt. Airy "Mayberry", NC
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
FWIW, I've swapped recently to a CFC and March pump setup, and much prefer it over the old immersion chiller. It's all a matter of personal preference, but that's what I like better! I just run the hose water full-blast through the CFC and recirculate until I get to pitching temps. I can walk away while it's chilling, whereas with the IC I had to stand over it and stir constantly (or it took FOREVER to chill).

Pump does make brewing a lot easier. Glad that I made that upgrade.
Thanks for the input! I guess I need to do a little more research on the CFC's and pumps and see what all is involved!