Wort Chiller in Keggle... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wort Chiller in Keggle...

Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
timm747

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Baltimore
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yesterday I used my newly made keggle for the first time. I brewed an AG batch from Midwest. Not thinking anything of it until the end of the boil, I went to put in my Stainless Steel wort chiller to boil it and it wouldn't fit because I was only brewing a 5 gallon batch and the keggle was too deep for the chiller. I ended up draining to a smaller pot and chilling in that, but is that what you guys typically do? Otherwise how do you chill the wort in a keggle?

Thanks!

Tim

Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Mirage

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Gales Ferry, CT
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With my keggle (we used it for the first time today) we use a chiller that is designed to do a 10 gallon batch. If you want to use a chiller, get one that fits your keg so that you don't get hot side aeration. Our chiller was about halfway into the brew.
Next: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Pliny the Elder Clone

Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Oct 2009
SJ
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Is the SS immersion chiller bends at the top are bound and keep it from going into the keg?

stainless is a little hard to bend to straighten the hose connector bends on that chiller.

With copper you just cut the rise just below the bend of the lower coils hose end, then pull the coils apart some to get the right height for the upper coils end bend to clear the top of the keggle. You can then use compression fittings and the same size tubing, or use the next size up tubing to extended the existing tubing of the lower coil to the proper height to clear the keg, then solder the bend end back in place.

You may be able to get someone to tig weld an extension tubing riser on the lower coils side like done above. Compression fittings are probably more money then the cost to weld an extension on.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 171 Times on 132 Posts

On my SS chiller, the two straight tubes that go up to the inlet and outlet are pretty long, so it fits nicely. I have in the past stretched the coil just a little bit.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Mine is the same as Bulls; it fits into a 10 gallon. See if you can bend the SS more to get about a foot of straight pipe before it starts the coils.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
timm747

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Baltimore
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's this one:

I'll try to bend it but its pretty rigid. I'll talk to a friend of mine who knows how to weld. Maybe he can hook me up.

Thanks everyone. I guess worse case is I sell this one and build my own from Home Depot supplies...

Tim

Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
Boardndave
Recipes 

Mar 2011
, MN
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Did anything ever come of this? I am in the same boat and I am not sure what to do. I have the same model except for the hookups, which are straight to clear tubing, not to an ordinary garden hose. I just ordered some silicon tubing that I am planning on sliding over the normal tubing to protect it from the heat of the keggle...hopefully this will work.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #8
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2201 Times on 1380 Posts

I wish I would never have gotten ridden of my SS 1/2" 50' immersion chiller. Think I would have tried using it differently now. Run the wort through the inside of the chiller have the chiller sitting in iced water. Would probably need pump though. Hmm.. It would at least be worth an experiment with boiling water.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
timm747

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Baltimore
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardndave View Post
Did anything ever come of this? I am in the same boat and I am not sure what to do. I have the same model except for the hookups, which are straight to clear tubing, not to an ordinary garden hose. I just ordered some silicon tubing that I am planning on sliding over the normal tubing to protect it from the heat of the keggle...hopefully this will work.
I stretched out the coils and it works fine and reaches the bottom now. I've learned that running the water through it slowly cools the wort a lot faster than if its pumping through fast.

Tim

Old 08-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 173 Times on 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm747 View Post
I've learned that running the water through it slowly cools the wort a lot faster than if its pumping through fast.

Tim
Unpossible. High water flow = quicker wort cooling.