lager fermentation - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > lager fermentation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
pkgmsu2000
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
chicago
Posts: 32


once your wort is in the primary carboy, do you wait for fermentation to start before putting the carboy into your lagering fridge?

or do you put the carboy in the fridge right after the stopper and airlock go on?

TIA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
strat_thru_marshall
 
strat_thru_marshall's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,641
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts


You want to keep your lager fermentation at 50F for 3-4 weeks, until fermentation is complete. After that you'll want to bring it down to lagering temps around 33-34F for another 6 weeks. Do a search for "lager fermentation" and read up on some of the general lager technique threads.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
dale1038
 
dale1038's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Louisville, KY
Posts: 428
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Yes. Hopefully you have some temp control. 50 degrees!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
pkgmsu2000
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
chicago
Posts: 32

so, you guys say to keep the primary fermenting container *OUT* of the fridge at room temperature until fermentation begins in about 24 hours??? then once it starts, thats when you start the primary lagering phase in the fridge at 47 degrees ish for 2-3 weeks. this is correct?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
strat_thru_marshall
 
strat_thru_marshall's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,641
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgmsu2000 View Post
so, you guys say to keep the primary fermenting container *OUT* of the fridge at room temperature until fermentation begins in about 24 hours??? then once it starts, thats when you start the primary lagering phase in the fridge at 47 degrees ish for 2-3 weeks. this is correct?
I pitch my yeast when the wort is at ~45F, then let it naturally raise to 50F. Keep it there for 4 weeks typically. Then bring the temp down to 33-34F.

If you pitch warm and then bring the temp down after fermentation starts you will end up with esters, off flavors, and lots of diacetyl.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
dale1038
 
dale1038's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Louisville, KY
Posts: 428
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgmsu2000 View Post
so, you guys say to keep the primary fermenting container *OUT* of the fridge at room temperature until fermentation begins in about 24 hours??? then once it starts, thats when you start the primary lagering phase in the fridge at 47 degrees ish for 2-3 weeks. this is correct?
No, I don't do that. I pitch at room temp and bring it down to 50 right away! As soon as the krausen drops I let it rise 3 degrees per day to 60 degrees until it is finished, then 3 degree drop per day to 35 for lagering.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Posts: 4,165
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
I pitch my yeast when the wort is at ~45F, then let it naturally raise to 50F. Keep it there for 4 weeks typically. Then bring the temp down to 33-34F.

If you pitch warm and then bring the temp down after fermentation starts you will end up with esters, off flavors, and lots of diacetyl.
This is what I do also, and is the best advise I can see to give you.
__________________
How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
buckeyebrewer
 
buckeyebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
OH-IO
Posts: 469
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I usually cool my wort and yeast starter down to 50 degrees. I do this right after I am done brewing. Usually the next morning I will add the yeast starters. The Therminator does a good job of getting it to around 65 but the last 15 degrees take a few hours in the fridge. I do this so everything is the same temp and there is no shock to the yeast. I would cool the wort to the temp you want it to be and then pitch. Lager yeast don't need 70 degrees to get working.....they seem to start slower and ferment for a longer time. It's colder and they just aren't moving as fast. How long to ferment is determined by your gravities. 1 week 2 weeks whatever....it's all about the hydrometer. When you get to 75% of the total fermentation raise the temp 10 degrees over the course of a day or two for a Diacetyl rest. I have had good results using this method.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
pkgmsu2000
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
chicago
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer View Post
I usually cool my wort and yeast starter down to 50 degrees. I do this right after I am done brewing. Usually the next morning I will add the yeast starters. The Therminator does a good job of getting it to around 65 but the last 15 degrees take a few hours in the fridge. I do this so everything is the same temp and there is no shock to the yeast. I would cool the wort to the temp you want it to be and then pitch. Lager yeast don't need 70 degrees to get working.....they seem to start slower and ferment for a longer time. It's colder and they just aren't moving as fast. How long to ferment is determined by your gravities. 1 week 2 weeks whatever....it's all about the hydrometer. When you get to 75% of the total fermentation raise the temp 10 degrees over the course of a day or two for a Diacetyl rest. I have had good results using this method.
this is what we decided last night after brewing was complete. both wort and starter went into fridge overnight, still need to bring temp down a little more, will then pitch the yeast later on today.

then will take the O.G.

then i wait 7 days then take S.G. each day until i get two consecutive days with same reading.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
markg388
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
seattle
Posts: 380
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


I don't think you need to be super anal about the pitching temperature though, my wort chiller usually gets me into the mid to low 60's and I just pitch it then and put it right into the 50 degree fridge. Doing the first couple hours at a bit higher temp haven't given me off flavors, but going overnight at 70 degrees probably would.

I guess you're always better safe than sorry though, nothing sucks quite like waiting 8 weeks to dump a batch.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lager Fermentation? Roguedog Fermentation & Yeast 19 04-23-2012 05:08 PM
lager fermentation cmvmarra Fermentation & Yeast 11 08-20-2010 03:36 AM
Lager fermentation question malc Fermentation & Yeast 5 03-17-2010 11:16 AM
Lager fermentation ? HI_SALENITY Fermentation & Yeast 7 02-11-2010 01:15 PM
First Lager - Slow Fermentation? mcpusc Fermentation & Yeast 6 11-15-2009 10:31 PM


Forum Jump