Clone SN Tumbler...Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep hearing good things about the cherrywood (the peated not so much) so I might try it next time instead of the Weyerman.

All smoked malts are not created equally!

I too had heard peated smoked malt was 'not so good'. I tried 3 lbs of the weyermann in a Porter ... pretty good. Then I tried the same of the cherrywood in a similar recipe, and it was much more flavorful (lot stronger smoke too). Then I stumbled across a clone for Stone smoked Porter that called for 4 ozs of peated smoke; ........ It tasted great, and I am sold on the peated smoke, you just have to realize that you don't need much.

0.25 lbs peated = about 3 lbs of Weyermann or Cherrywood. A huge difference in what is required to get a similar smoke effect. Which smoked malt is used in Tumbler at 1% level? I suspect it is asking for peated malt. For a 1.060 beer, about 1.5 ozs is equal to 1%. If you use anything else, you probably need about 12 ozs.

I used the cherrywood at 1% (3.5oz in 10g batch) using Emma's recipe (AHS).

My initial intention was to round it up to 4oz (1.3333333%), and after tasting what I have now that is only a month old, the 4 oz would be fine. This stuff is drinkable right out of the carboy, no aging required.

Hey guys. Gonna try this recipe this weekend. Question about the chocalte malts and smoked malt. Do you typically mash these with pale or do you handle them differently? The reason I ask is because I brewed a german hef with carraffa 3 and it has a bitter finish that grows the longer it sits and warms. I think its due to the carraffa being too high. So now Im paranoid about the roasted stuff. Thanks for your input. This will be the first brew on the new 10 gallon set up. Cheers

Back