Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My Brew System

Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Bixter1
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default My Brew System

I decided to build my own automated brew system. Im going to go with a HERMS electric setup that can handle 10 gallons (Im going to use 15 gallon pots). Below is my process. I think I have everything covered but always welcome opinions/suggestions. I am also going to use a .NET MF (C#) based controller which looks to be unique from the other systems out there.

[i
[i
[i
[i
[i
[i
[i
[i

Old 08-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

any hi res photos?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Bixter1

Recipes 

I changed my original post to Hi-res photos. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
TriangleIL
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bixter,

I'm currently doing a build very similiar to yours. I think you can simplify some of the process (do you really need 2 water in lines, do you really need a HEX coil in the BK if it is only for cooling)?

As for the .Net control, I'd love to collaborate or share ideas on this. I will be using C# to control my entire brew process as soon as I can finish the build.

Good luck, there are a lot of very helpful people here who will guide you.
Bottled: Empty
Kegged: Fox River Trail IPA, Pink Elephant Delerium Clone, Apricot Belgian Wit IV, So Kolsch, Belgian Slut IPA
On Deck: Apricot Belgian Wit V, Blueberry Sherry, Marzen, Noble Pils, Munich Helles

My Ditches Build

Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Bixter1

Recipes 

The extra $35 valve was easy to justify for the second line. Im using RO and it's SLOW sometimes so I figured I would make it as much as a set and forget it as possible. I figured on a second coil since it was cheaper than more valves and it cut down on any issues with sterilization.

Im using a FEZ Cobra (and domino) for my controller. Im working out the classes and modules now. Have you started anything yet?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
TriangleIL
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't started the automation portion, I'm about 3-4 weeks away from having the electrical done. At that point, I will brew on the system in manual mode while building out the automation architecture. I am currently using an ARM9 with WM6, but I think I am going to move to a PC with 15" touchscreen. The PC will then eventually also control things like fermentation, brew scheduling, weight based corny volume measurement, etc. Sorry, I'm getting a bit
Bottled: Empty
Kegged: Fox River Trail IPA, Pink Elephant Delerium Clone, Apricot Belgian Wit IV, So Kolsch, Belgian Slut IPA
On Deck: Apricot Belgian Wit V, Blueberry Sherry, Marzen, Noble Pils, Munich Helles

My Ditches Build

Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Bixter1

Recipes 

Lots of I/O ports are needed for a system. What would you use on the PC side for this? BTW this is to discuss my system so this should apply. I will be posting some design docs and samples this weekend on my website (not pretty but functional). www.BakkerBeerHouse.com

Old 08-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

How many I/O points do you expect to need for this system? and what is the I/O hardware manufacturers name.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
Bixter1

Recipes 

I'm using I2C and one wire for the bulk of my devices. I do have some analog devices and digital devices that I will need to control with single pins though. I'll have a complete list up soon. I have the pins and I'm going to use them!

Hardware is a FEZ Cobra (GHI Electronics).

Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #10
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

How many digital and analog points are you looking at for control?, any analog outputs?. Have you looked at the ARM 9 boards with displays and interfaces built in for about the same or less cost.