CO2 question please..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
do most of you guys get your keg to the right serving pressure and just leave it hooked up until the beer is gone? or do you disconnect and pour beers without gas until the pressure gets to low and then hook it back up again??

I've been getting advice on both methods...

I set it and forget it. I used a great deal of caution in the beginning... turning the gas off and unhooking, etc. until I was absolutely sure I was leak free.

I leave mine plugged in and turned on all the time. The joy of having a 4 way distributor is knowing that I can always have 4 kegs running.

And so far, my needle hasn't dropped, so I guess my fittings are good.

i'm the same way, i just keep everything hooked up. I would find it too troublesome to go turn on the gas, pour a pint, then turn the gas back off for each time i wanted a beer.

just to echo what everyone else has said though, you need to make absolutely sure you have no leaks, otherwise you will run out of co2 in no time. also, you need to check for leaks periodically, as they can crop up over time. i check for leaks once every few months to make sure everything is still good.

set it and forget it. I think I go through a little more C02 that way, but not enough to make me turn it off and on each time

Another question about CO2... If I have a beer that I kegged from secondary and I want it to condition more, should I just leave it in the keg at room temp for a few weeks, or could I hook it up to CO2 and put it in my fridge and let it sit at serving pressure for a few weeks?? or does it really matter?

Back