Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Infection in secondary? 56k, better brew a beer.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Infection in secondary? 56k, better brew a beer.

First off, I apologize for the size of the pics, but I wanted to get a higher resolution to show the smaller details.

I brewed up a 10/10/10 clone last month, while terribly missing efficiency thus creating a substantially lower gravity Belgian, came together really quite well. Yes, I missed efficiency, yes I substituted a different yeast (Belgian Ardennes, wyeast 3522), but it still is beer and damn tasty at that.

Fine, I racked to secondary where it has rested at a temperature controlled 70F. Well, low and behold this is what I found this morning:

Notice the specks of a floating, bubbled layer I disrupted when I moved my carboy. It was a thin layer covering some of the top, leaving a deposit on the rim.

Prior to disruption, but carbonation is kicking off this thing more than I would expect in a REMARKABLY low FG solution (1.006, yeah Belgian Ardennes is a MONSTER)

Down the pipe! Looks like a spit a loogie down there.

All in all, it tastes great, if not incredibly boozy. I eased up on the sugar additions so SG was only 1.076, but FG was 1.006.

My questions. This is a high alcohol environment (9.16%), so anything living in there is one determined bugger, however unlikely. Do you think maybe I got a touch of wild Bret in there? If so, would it be safe to bottle? I don't want 3 gallons of bottle bombs in my closet.

Am I seeing things, or what? If I got a touch of Bret, I am OK with that. Maybe a little funk will take attention away from the rocket fuel like heat. What say you all?

On another note I used the same Yeast cake to brew another darker Belgian, and Holy Jebus, it got down to 1.002! Next time I am using a little less aggressive yeast.

Primary Fermenter: English Mild

Primary Fermenter: English ESB

Secondary: EMPTY :(

Secondary: Empty :(
Old 08-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 62 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it tastes great then I would not worry about it. Keg or bottle it and drink it.