American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #21
allclene
Beer, What a beautiful thing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
payson, AZ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you tried step mashing this recipe? Was wondering if it would change the whole beer or would come out close the same. Seems a little light on the grain to me so was wondering if stepped would it render more eficiency and possibly stronger beer and darker color.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
Newbeerguy

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Massillon, Ohio
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allclene View Post
Have you tried step mashing this recipe? Was wondering if it would change the whole beer or would come out close the same. Seems a little light on the grain to me so was wondering if stepped would it render more eficiency and possibly stronger beer and darker color.
I haven't tried a step mash with this recipe. I am already getting over 80% eff. and this beer comes out at almost 6%ABV as it is. (5.87% to be exact)

I am sure if you did a step mash you'd get a little bit more conversion. I think the color would pretty much remain the same though. If you were going for a stronger ABV without increasing the color much, add a 1/2lb-3/4lb of corn sugar. That may dry it out a tad, but if you did a step mash, just raise the sacc. rest to 156 degrees.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
blip01
Recipes 

Mar 2011
haddonfield, nj
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Brewed this last night, upped the orange zest to 2oz, smelled great during the boil.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #24
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
payson, AZ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeerguy

I haven't tried a step mash with this recipe. I am already getting over 80% eff. and this beer comes out at almost 6%ABV as it is. (5.87% to be exact)

I am sure if you did a step mash you'd get a little bit more conversion. I think the color would pretty much remain the same though. If you were going for a stronger ABV without increasing the color much, add a 1/2lb-3/4lb of corn sugar. That may dry it out a tad, but if you did a step mash, just raise the sacc. rest to 156 degrees.
Well i brewed this yesterday. Not sure if i did something wrong but wanted 10 gal batch so doubled recipe but to land at 1.055 start i could only get 5 gal out of it. The color was real light also. Not sure what happened here

Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #25
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
payson, AZ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Figured out what happened. When i baught the grains they left out the white wheat malt. I thaught the grains were light. I should of checked the reciept before i left the store. Next time ill have them put the grains in seperate bags so i can double check.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Newbeerguy

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Massillon, Ohio

Quote:
Figured out what happened. When i baught the grains they left out the white wheat malt. I thaught the grains were light. I should of checked the reciept before i left the store. Next time ill have them put the grains in seperate bags so i can double check.
Sorry to hear that allclene. I am sure it will still come out drinkable, not so much a wheat anymore, but an orange infused pale ale.

Still keep us posted and let us know how it comes along.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #27
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
payson, AZ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well after 3 days in fermentor yeast is going wild its perking like crazy. Sneaked a sample its real hoppy still. Hope that mellows when finished. Just have to see how it is in a few weeks ill keep you posted.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #28
Newbeerguy

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Massillon, Ohio

Quote:
Well after 3 days in fermentor yeast is going wild its perking like crazy. Sneaked a sample its real hoppy still. Hope that mellows when finished. Just have to see how it is in a few weeks ill keep you posted.
Sounds like it is comming along nicely. I am sure the hoppyness (word?) will mellow out with some time. Without any late hope additions, the orange should really shine though.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #29
Newbeerguy

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Massillon, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip01 View Post
Brewed this last night, upped the orange zest to 2oz, smelled great during the boil.
Awesome! Yeah it does smell fanstastic. I know even in my fermentation chamber I could smell some orange.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #30
allclene
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
payson, AZ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeerguy

Sounds like it is comming along nicely. I am sure the hoppyness (word?) will mellow out with some time. Without any late hope additions, the orange should really shine though.
Got this one in the keg and it is somewhat hoppier than hoped and doesnt have that wheat notes it should have probably due to the grain that was missing. Its drinkable though gonna redo this one real soon and with all the grain this time