American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat

Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
rooner86
Recipes 

Jun 2011
macomb, il

I am very new to brewing (2 batches both "kits") and my friends and I are looking to do a slightly more complex recipe like this but perhaps with a slight vanilla flavor. when would be the best times to add the orange zest and/or vanilla beans? And where are the best places to order the hops or powdered malts? Unfortunately we don't have any brewmaking stores around here to ask and have to order any of our hops and malts online.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Liked 208 Times on 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooner86
I am very new to brewing (2 batches both "kits") and my friends and I are looking to do a slightly more complex recipe like this but perhaps with a slight vanilla flavor. when would be the best times to add the orange zest and/or vanilla beans? And where are the best places to order the hops or powdered malts? Unfortunately we don't have any brewmaking stores around here to ask and have to order any of our hops and malts online.
While I question your intent to add vanilla to this recipe, I'll still help you out. If you are set on giving this some vanilla flavor, I would do it in the secondary fermenter. Take 2 whole beans and slice them open lengthwise. Try to expose as much of the insides as possible, and toss them in the secondary. Rack your beer on them, and taste it periodically to tell when the right amount of vanilla flavor is present.

As for the Orange zest, I add mine at flameout. Make sure you don't get any of the white pith; you just want the outer peel.

As far as buying ingredients, that will depend. Check out Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer, and Austin Homebrew Supply for starters. If you find yourself brewing a lot more in the future, you might want to consider buying hops in bulk from places like Hops Direct, or Wholesale Hops.

TB
1. none 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 23 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Altbier, Helles x2, Kentucky Common

Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
rooner86
Recipes 

Jun 2011
macomb, il

thank you very much, i will be trying out those websites.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 AM   #14
hops2it
Recipes 

May 2011
Des Moines, IA
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I've been looking for a beer like this ever since enjoying a great tasting wheat with orange undertones last week. Would you say the body is a little more heavy than the average American wheat? Kinda looks like it might carry a little more mouth feel which would be perfect for my liking.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to know if you have tried any variants to the original recipe and if so, would you recommend any tweaks? If not I'm going to give this a shot as is, looks awesome.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Michigan
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is there any specific reason to throw the zest into the boil, besides sanitation? I was thinking about throwing the zest either into the primary or adding it into the primary a week or so after the fermentation has slowed.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #16
hops2it
Recipes 

May 2011
Des Moines, IA
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritobandito View Post
Is there any specific reason to throw the zest into the boil, besides sanitation? I was thinking about throwing the zest either into the primary or adding it into the primary a week or so after the fermentation has slowed.
I decided to make this and I used a metal strainer dipped in the boil kettle to keep the orange peels from going all over the place figuring the sanitized idea was probably a good one. I then added them to the primary right at the start. Just moving to cold crash right now, FG came out lower than expected at 1.006. Anyway, if the SG sample is any indication, this beer is NOT going to last long. Will report back with final results.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
Newbeerguy

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Massillon, Ohio
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hops2it View Post
I decided to make this and I used a metal strainer dipped in the boil kettle to keep the orange peels from going all over the place figuring the sanitized idea was probably a good one. I then added them to the primary right at the start. Just moving to cold crash right now, FG came out lower than expected at 1.006. Anyway, if the SG sample is any indication, this beer is NOT going to last long. Will report back with final results.
Any update on how it turned out? Would like to hear your feedback. Cheers!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
cruizer8

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

I was thinking about making this but unfortunately I don't have the equipment for AG. Would it be too much to ask for a conversion of the recipe for extract brewing?

Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Newbeerguy

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Massillon, Ohio
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizer8 View Post
I was thinking about making this but unfortunately I don't have the equipment for AG. Would it be too much to ask for a conversion of the recipe for extract brewing?
Not at all. It won't be 100% the same, but this will get you very close.

Replace:
Rice Hulls
2-Row
Wheat Malt
Flaked Wheat

(Exclude the 5.2 Mash Stabilizer as well)

With:

6lbs Dry Wheat Extract
or
7.5lbs Liquid Wheat Extract

If possible, I would steep the Munich Malt in 1 gallon of 152 degree water for about 1/2 hour. That will get you a little more flavor. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you can find some Munich Extract and sub it out as well.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #20
cruizer8

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

Thanks for the extract recipe. I will be trying this next brew day.

AL73 Likes This