Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Orange American Wheat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #111
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Newbeerguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 811
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by stompbox View Post
I am going to make this tomorrow with a few modifications.

I am going to use Hallertauer and Citra for hops and am going to add Coriander.
Sounds good. Are you going to replace the late addition of Hallertauer with the Cirta or are you going to up the IBU's and add them both?
Newbeerguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #112
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Newbeerguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 811
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljay View Post
It's way easier for us because we're both in the same club locally!
Ahh! Yeah I can understand that. Hope they both turn out to your liking.
Newbeerguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #113
jaynik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arnold, Maryland
Posts: 412
Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeerguy View Post
What's the verdict?
I like it! I usually hate wheat beers because they are determined to use Belgian yeast. The us-05 does a nice job with this. It's definitely a refreshing beer. My wife likes it too and I was able to get a dedicated Coors light drinker to go back after it several times over.

The next time I brew it, I'm going to double the orange rind to get more of that flavor. It has more or less faded completely at this point.

Thanks for the recipe! Glad I brewed this one. Finally something my non-IPA drinking friends will enjoy!
jaynik is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #114
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Newbeerguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 811
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynik View Post
I like it! I usually hate wheat beers because they are determined to use Belgian yeast. The us-05 does a nice job with this. It's definitely a refreshing beer. My wife likes it too and I was able to get a dedicated Coors light drinker to go back after it several times over.

The next time I brew it, I'm going to double the orange rind to get more of that flavor. It has more or less faded completely at this point.

Thanks for the recipe! Glad I brewed this one. Finally something my non-IPA drinking friends will enjoy!
I agree the US-05 does a good job in this beer. Although I enjoy some Belgians, I wanted this one to be a refresher that everyone can drink. I think the clean yeast profile helps that out alot.

I have been experimenting with orange zest additions and now I go with 2-2.25oz. You're right with 1.5oz orange flavor fades over time. I changed the recipe on the front page to reflect this as well. When I first posted the recipe, I never had a keg last more than a week, so I didn't know the orange flavor would fade out that much

Thanks for giving it a shot and glad you are enjoying it. Cheers!
Newbeerguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #115
stompbox
Served up in the backyard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stompbox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surprise Valley
Posts: 375
Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeerguy

Sounds good. Are you going to replace the late addition of Hallertauer with the Cirta or are you going to up the IBU's and add them both?
I replaced the 30 minute addition with Citra. And since i bought a 1 oz package, i threw the second 0.5oz in at 5 min with the zest. This is when i also threw in 0.25oz coriander. Bubbling away right now!
stompbox is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #116
jaynik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arnold, Maryland
Posts: 412
Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Here's the color I get from this beer. The picture looks darker than reality. I think it's much lighter than intended, but it's nice. Yes, I know, adding the orange in the beer is stupid, etc. Bite me.

EvilJay, if you want some, you better hurry up. My picky beer friends (i.e. Bud Light Light Lime or Sam Summer) even like this one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	62784  
jaynik is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #117
eviljay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 198
Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default


Mine is almost ready to bottle! As soon as it is we'll swap a bottle.
eviljay is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #118
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Newbeerguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 811
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynik View Post
Here's the color I get from this beer. The picture looks darker than reality. I think it's much lighter than intended, but it's nice. Yes, I know, adding the orange in the beer is stupid, etc. Bite me.

EvilJay, if you want some, you better hurry up. My picky beer friends (i.e. Bud Light Light Lime or Sam Summer) even like this one.
Looking good!
Newbeerguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #119
jaynik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arnold, Maryland
Posts: 412
Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljay
Mine is almost ready to bottle! As soon as it is we'll swap a bottle.
Well mine is in a keg so I can either try to bottle it or just put some in a growler. I don't have a contraption to bottle effectively from the keg.
jaynik is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #120
JeffoC6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stewartsville
Posts: 1,053
Liked 58 Times on 29 Posts

Default


Brewing this up tomorrow (1-gallon all grain)...Looking forward to it. Got my grains and yeast tonight. Grabbing a few oranges tomorrow.
__________________
Pap Don Brewers
Planned:
Prim #1: Bronco Tamp
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Bottled:
JeffoC6 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - American Wheat iamjonsharp Wheat and Rye Beer 85 12-24-2014 03:54 PM
Partial - Kinda American Citrusy Wheat BigB Wheat and Rye Beer 20 05-28-2013 09:41 PM
All-Grain - Citrillo American Wheat xiang Wheat and Rye Beer 12 08-29-2011 01:22 AM
All-Grain - American Wheat Poobah58 Wheat and Rye Beer 1 09-09-2009 02:02 AM
American wheat. bandt9299 Wheat and Rye Beer 0 07-25-2007 03:51 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS