HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > washing machine valve manifold?

Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default washing machine valve manifold?

I thought I had a great idea for a manifold in the mash tun I am building. I have been trying to plumb my igloo cooler so it is all copper because I want to connect it to my pump and into a heat exchanger. I found that Oatey washing machine valves were exactly what I was looking for, a long threaded stem with nylon nuts. get a sink repair nut for the other side and Viola you got a solid bulkhead for $6...except the valve is 1/4 inch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulkhead.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	692
I think this will be a problem when the pump is running potentially building up negative pressure and aerating the hot wort but sucking in air. I am planing on running 1/2in copper and , 3/8 soft tube for the plumbing, and was planning on using 1/2 valves. Should I convert them to 1/2 valves or will the 1/4 valves not cause a problem?

I plan on wiring the pump to a speed controller and a flow meter I got on ebay so theoretically I should be able to control the flow rate out of the pump but I am not sure if this would solve the problem.

any suggestions?

EDIT: After sleeping on it I realized that I can plumb the whole system with SS supply line.