Transfer to Secondary? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Transfer to Secondary?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
hophead81
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Illinois
Posts: 11


I brewed a Belgian Dubbel last Saturday and the OG was 1.090. Airlock bubbles are about 1/90 seconds or so over the past couple of days now. Will it hurt to transfer to the secondary or should I wait another week?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
j1laskey
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Boston
Posts: 1,826
Liked 207 Times on 165 Posts


Have you taken any gravity readings?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3189 Times on 1884 Posts


Your beginning gravity doesn't helped, nor does counting bubbles, a current reading is how you know how your beer is progressing. And when it is finished. Not bubbles. It could stop needed to release EXCESS co2 (which is the purpose of an airlock, not a gauge of fermentation) and have plenty of work left to do. Especially in a big beer like that. I wouldn't even contemplating racking it to secondary until it's been a month in the primary anyway.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
hophead81
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Illinois
Posts: 11

I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet. Originally I was planning on not even checking it for two weeks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
stubbornman
 
stubbornman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 551
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts


Revy has given you good advice here. Leave it for 3-4 weeks and then transfer to secondary or keg (what I would do).
__________________
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


unless you plan on aging this for awhile (months), I'm not even sure I'd bother using a secondary on this. 3-4 weeks in the primary will probably be sufficient

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
hophead81
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Illinois
Posts: 11

dcp27: you don't think I should throw in a secondary for a few weeks to help settlement and clarity? Just transfer to bottling bucket and bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


3-4 weeks in the primary will accomplish that on its own. alot of people here don't use secondaries anymore unless they're aging for long periods or adding something like fruit or oak

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
hophead81
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Illinois
Posts: 11

Thanks dcp27. Think I will wait a couple weeks and check the FG. If it looks good I will bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
iijakii
 
iijakii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Portland-ish, OR
Posts: 6,013
Liked 1793 Times on 1121 Posts


Yeah try it out for yourself. I was happy to learn about the primary-only trick that's so popular here on HBT.

I left my beer in primary for a month and it was just as clear as any other similar-style I have used a secondary with. Delicious, too.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I transfer to secondary too soon? johnboy1313 Fermentation & Yeast 30 03-03-2013 12:19 PM
Broke my hydrometer. Can I transfer to secondary without a reading? de5m0mike Fermentation & Yeast 9 05-14-2010 03:06 PM
transfer to secondary Husemoller21 Fermentation & Yeast 1 02-12-2010 02:28 PM
American Wheat: To transfer or not to transfer? Porterrific Fermentation & Yeast 7 09-21-2009 07:20 PM
Easier way to transfer? scrambledegg81 Fermentation & Yeast 21 09-11-2009 01:50 PM


Forum Jump