Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Black IPA / CDA (carafa black malt) to counter alkaline water?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Black IPA / CDA (carafa black malt) to counter alkaline water?

I know a precise answer cannot be given without proper details, but I've heard in general, alkaline water would work better with dark beers because the roasted malts contribute acidity to reduce the pH for the mash. Could this be true also for Carafa black malts, at least in part? I plan to try a small experimental mash or brew to probe this theory since I can obviously measure the mash pH compared to a control but is it even worth trying?

In short I'm wondering if I can use the Black IPA / CDA style to brew decent IPAs (lighter beers) with water generally said to be more appropriate for dark beers. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
ajdelange
Recipes 

Liked 1035 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Roasted malts do contain acid which does neutralize some of the alkalinity in mash water allowing lower mash pH. The only difference between Carafa and more conventional roasted malts is that the husks have been removed resulting in a less bitter product so that Carafa should work as well, in this regard, as any other black malt.

Experimentation with test mashes is much better than all the calculations, spreadsheets... in the world. Make up a small portion of grist without and another with the amount of Carafa you think you would like to try and compare the pH's. The Carafa mash will doubtless be lower but perhaps not as much as you would like without using a lot more of it that you would want for the flavor profile you are looking for.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You might also try an acid rest. It should work unless your water is super alkaline. I'm pretty sure that the water in Munich is fairly alkaline and they make plenty of lighter beers there.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1654 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I add a little sodium bicarbonate. No taste change, other than less "twang".

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
ajdelange
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivovar_Koucky View Post
You might also try an acid rest. It should work unless your water is super alkaline. I'm pretty sure that the water in Munich is fairly alkaline and they make plenty of lighter beers there.
That's true but they do it by decarbonating the water before they brew lighter beers.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
ajdelange
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I add a little sodium bicarbonate. No taste change, other than less "twang".
Probably not a good idea here. He's trying to beat alkalinity, not increase it. 61 mg/L bicarbonate ion = 50 ppm alkalinity (as CaCO3).

Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1654 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Probably not a good idea here. He's trying to beat alkalinity, not increase it. 61 mg/L bicarbonate ion = 50 ppm alkalinity (as CaCO3).

Durrr!!lol My bad.

Read it too quick while "multitasking" (which is humanly impossible, we "switch" rapidly between tasks, but cannot conciously do 2 things at once, as evidenced by my exactly wrong answer.)