Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #631
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldzinator

I've seen others add lactose to the secondary without issue. It will definitely help the mouthfeel. 1.008 is gonna feel like pumpkin wine .

I would check your spice levels prior to doing the spice additions. If you used Sterling hops (which is what Pumking uses), it has a nice spiciness. I found that mind had a good spice level, even with my single addition of spices prior to flameout.
I made this last year but bigger and ruined with the GC extract. I'm a big fan of slightly over doing the ginger, nutmeg and vanilla. Maybe a whole pound of lactose though, don't want pumpkin wine

Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #632
Blue_Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm in the process of brewing the all-grain AHS Pumking clone recipe right now with a few minor changes:

Grains: 13.25 lbs Maris Otter
0.75 lb Crystal 150L
4.5 lbs Pumpkin (non-spiced canned)

Additional Sugars: 1.0 lb Piloncillo (Panela Sugar) @ 60 min.

Bittering: 0.5 oz Magnum @ 60 min.
Flavor: 1.0 oz Sterling @ 10 min.
Aroma: AHS Pumking Spice Pack (1 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp Nutmeg, 1 tsp Allspice,
1 tsp Whole Cloves) @ 5 min.

Misc: BrewVint Alcohol Boost @ 60 min.
Five Star Defoamer 105 @ 60 min.
BrewVint Yeast Fuel capsule @ 15 min.
Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min.

Aeration: 2 min. w/O2

Yeast: The kit came with White Labs WLP002 but I accidently froze my starter, so I went to my LBS and bought 2 packages of Wyeast #1187 (Ringwood Strain).

At kegging add: 1 oz Vanilla extract powder

Bubbertin Vineyards

Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #633
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Alright, I am going to finally brew up an attempted clone this weekend.

14 lbs 2-row
1 lb biscuit
2 large cans pumpkin puree
lots of rice hulls
mash at 155 for 60 min (puree in strike water)

.5 oz magnum at 60
.25 sterling at 15
1 lb brown sugar at 10
1 tsp pumpkin spice at flameout

vanilla and other spices are going in at kegging, and I am going to play around with some combinations aged in vodka

as for the "crust" flavor, I am going to a cake decorating shop and I am going to play around with some different extracts

Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #634
waldzinator
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey View Post
13.25 lbs Maris Otter
I like this idea a lot. Wish I woulda thought of it. You should get more depth of flavor...English biscuit. I may very well have to change for this next brew. I got a bunch of Crisp MO coming in from LHBS, since we are having a Brooklyn Brown Ale cloning competition. I was going to use the spare amount of some Brit pales and bitters...may need to divert.

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #635
insanim8er
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well im in search of an awesome pumpkin beer for my girlfriend, so I just finished reading this entire thread. I'm planning on making an attempt, but I've yet to try Pumking. I am going to pick up a bottle to see what I can come up with.

I read about the graham cracker flavor vs the butter nut..etc. I also read about the buttery flavor, and one posters comment about cap'n crunch.

I read that cap'n crunch is suppose to be brown sugar butter served on rice. The McCormick vanilla nut butter is almond, butter and vanilla...

Has anyone ever experimentd with those Nilla wafers? I know those things are often used as "pie crust" in ice cream and what not. And I feel the flavor is similar to what people describe.

I was thinking about mashing with the nilla wafers, but like i said, i havent tried pumking yet. Any thoughts?

Old 09-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #636
jaywhy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanim8er View Post
Well im in search of an awesome pumpkin beer for my girlfriend, so I just finished reading this entire thread. I'm planning on making an attempt, but I've yet to try Pumking. I am going to pick up a bottle to see what I can come up with.

I read about the graham cracker flavor vs the butter nut..etc. I also read about the buttery flavor, and one posters comment about cap'n crunch.

I read that cap'n crunch is suppose to be brown sugar butter served on rice. The McCormick vanilla nut butter is almond, butter and vanilla...

Has anyone ever experimentd with those Nilla wafers? I know those things are often used as "pie crust" in ice cream and what not. And I feel the flavor is similar to what people describe.

I was thinking about mashing with the nilla wafers, but like i said, i havent tried pumking yet. Any thoughts?
Maybe try Pumking first before trying to replicate the graham cracker flavor. I had my first bottle of the season last week and decided I don't particularly care for the graham cracker anymore. I think it makes it taste artificial.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #637
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

What's the consensus on this? Cloned? Or not cloned? Which recipe seems to have come the closest?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #638
bulldawgbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I've found the secret to cloning this beer: Pumpkin Pie Extract.

I've tried several clone attempts with different variations on recipes in this forum, and the big thing I've noticed is that all of them produce good pumpkin spice ales, but none have the aroma or flavor of Pumking. I work at a brewery and we use a lot of extracts in our flavored beers from Silver Cloud Estates with great results, so I looked through their website and sure enough they have a pumpkin pie extract. I've been pulling pints out of my already kegged Pumking clone and adding drops of this stuff and I gotta tell you, its got the Pumking flavor and aroma in spades. I'm going to do some more sampling with different strengths of this stuff, then I'll be sure to post how much per gallon I end up using.

A link to the extract website:
http://www.silvercloudestates.com/pr...ct.aspx?id=807
enkamania Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #639
insanim8er
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgbrewer View Post
does it add that "graham cracker" and diacetyl/butter flavor everyone talks about?

I'm really wanting to get a good pumpkin ale going, but I've yet to try the original. I'm waiting for my local supplier to get it in inventory. Apparently they changed distributors, so it's not on the shelves yet in Portland Oregon.

I did, however, do a hybrid recipe of the attempts on here along with the Brandon O graff. Went into the fermenter yesterday... we'll see how it goes.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #640
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgbrewer View Post

I've tried several clone attempts with different variations on recipes in this forum, and the big thing I've noticed is that all of them produce good pumpkin spice ales, but none have the aroma or flavor of Pumking. I work at a brewery and we use a lot of extracts in our flavored beers from Silver Cloud Estates with great results, so I looked through their website and sure enough they have a pumpkin pie extract. I've been pulling pints out of my already kegged Pumking clone and adding drops of this stuff and I gotta tell you, its got the Pumking flavor and aroma in spades. I'm going to do some more sampling with different strengths of this stuff, then I'll be sure to post how much per gallon I end up using.

A link to the extract website:
http://www.silvercloudestates.com/pr...ct.aspx?id=807
Any off flavors of sort? I actually saw that online, and was curious as to how it would work. I really think the secret to this recipe is artificial flavoring of some kind.....not that it is a bad thing, but that is just my .02.