Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Change in Altitude

Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
josers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Change in Altitude

Will be driving with a batch from San Diego to Colorado Springs (apprx 6500ft) one week after bottling.

So from the thread I've already read, I gathered that the CO2 will come out of the beer more at higher altitude. My question is should i add more/less priming sugar to counter this effect?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Since the bottles will be sealed at sea level (or whatever altitude you live at) I would not worry about it. The only pressure that is going to be changing is the atmospheric pressure and since the bottle is a rigid container the internal pressure will be unaffected by the change in atmospheric pressure.

Upon opening the CO2 might fizz out a little more quickly but I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
Since the bottles will be sealed at sea level (or whatever altitude you live at) I would not worry about it. The only pressure that is going to be changing is the atmospheric pressure and since the bottle is a rigid container the internal pressure will be unaffected by the change in atmospheric pressure.

Upon opening the CO2 might fizz out a little more quickly but I wouldn't worry about it.
The difference in pressure is about 3 psi at that altitude. I don't know how much this affects the rate at which you'll lose CO2 when you pop the bottle, but I can't imagine that AB or any big beer companies carbonate differently for different altitudes.