Worst effing brew day - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Worst effing brew day
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
heywolfie1015
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Los Angeles, California
Posts: 508
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts



First, I miss my temps by about four degrees because I forgot to account for the extra pound of rice hulls in my grist. Second, after taking first runnings, I pour in the water for my batch sparge and start to stir. I notice a random (large) set of bubbles come up near where the manifold connects to the outlet hose. When I go to sparge, I get a chunk of grain and then nothing. Turns out the manifold slipped out of the outlet and the whole thing got jammed up. I couldn't put the sucker back in because of the foot of 170F water between my hand and the outlet hole. So, I tried just scooping and pouring the grain into a colander over the brew pot. As you might guess, not ideal and the whole pot was filled with little pieces of wheat and barley. Ended up just scrapping the whole session because my frustration was so high.

Argh!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Bentpirate
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 237
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Don't give up man! I started off the day with blowing my circut breaker because I had the idea of increasing my 1500w element with a 2000w. I thought of giving up. It put me several hours behind my ideal schedule grant it. I emptied the water from the HLT, replaced the element, refilled, and started over.... finally 3 hours from my initial plan mashing time I am now 38 minutes into mashing. I had to take a walk, and talk my self into brewing. After all, if it was easy everyine would do it - however, that being said, everytime I brew there is always an issue which make me second guess too.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
fineexampl
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Edison, NJ
Posts: 650
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


i can understand that feeling. i have yet to scrap anything, but i can see me doing the same. what's your manifold setup like? Is it something you could probably upgrade and avoid for future sessions?

i keep cheesecloth around just to have. you could have, as an alternative to dumping, ran it all through the cheesecloth to filter out the chunks and add a bunch of other junk to it and pretend it's a different style. hell, most people who've had my homebrew wouldn't know a Belgian from a Blow-Pop.
__________________
Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
petep1980's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 1,895
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Ahh memories. How much sweat fell into the wort?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
fineexampl
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Edison, NJ
Posts: 650
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentpirate View Post
Don't give up man! I started off the day with blowing my circut breaker because I had the idea of increasing my 1500w element with a 2000w. I thought of giving up. It put me several hours behind my ideal schedule grant it. I emptied the water from the HLT, replaced the element, refilled, and started over.... finally 3 hours from my initial plan mashing time I am now 38 minutes into mashing. I had to take a walk, and talk my self into brewing. After all, if it was easy everyine would do it - however, that being said, everytime I brew there is always an issue which make me second guess too.
absoloutely! Every brewday since i went all-grain and using whole leaf hops instead of pellets i've had issues. most recently was dealing with the spent hops post-boil and trying to fill the fermenter without getting leaves in the carboy. i treated myself to a brand new Kettlevalve and Kettlescreen.
__________________
Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
heywolfie1015
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Los Angeles, California
Posts: 508
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


You know, it's actually funny. This is the first really bad session. Maybe I was getting cocky and this is karma telling me to stay on top of the process.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
joebagodonuts
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
South Jersey
Posts: 63

I had a similarly bad brew day on Friday. So many things went wrong - but I kept the brew. I decided to name it "Train Wreck Stout" because the brew day was such a train wreck.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
petep1980's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 1,895
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Even though your brew day may suck, the beer may not.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,045
Liked 228 Times on 194 Posts


That's extra crappy, sorry to hear about that. But there are some things you could have done, or can do in the future, to fix these problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywolfie1015 View Post
First, I miss my temps by about four degrees because I forgot to account for the extra pound of rice hulls in my grist.
Before adding your rice hulls, put them in a strainer of sorts and run hot water over them. First, rice hulls are typically pretty dirty so you want to run the water over them until it runs clear. Second, you missed your mash temp because your hulls were room temperature; the hot water rinse will not only bring them up to temperature (or close to it), it will also allow them to absorb the water and not reduce your mash volume.


Quote:
Originally Posted by heywolfie1015 View Post
Second, after taking first runnings, I pour in the water for my batch sparge and start to stir. I notice a random (large) set of bubbles come up near where the manifold connects to the outlet hose. When I go to sparge, I get a chunk of grain and then nothing. Turns out the manifold slipped out of the outlet and the whole thing got jammed up. I couldn't put the sucker back in because of the foot of 170F water between my hand and the outlet hole.
Pfft, who cares about 3rd degree burns? Here's a simple and somewhat awesome solution. Get a trash bag or something you know won't leak, put your arm in it and fill it up about halfway with cool tap water. This will allow you to put your arm in a hot-ass mash and fix/retrieve things, the cool water acting as a barrier.
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

minsco1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #10
heywolfie1015
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Los Angeles, California
Posts: 508
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
Here's a simple and somewhat awesome solution. Get a trash bag or something you know won't leak, put your arm in it and fill it up about halfway with cool tap water. This will allow you to put your arm in a hot-ass mash and fix/retrieve things, the cool water acting as a barrier.
Brilliant.



minsco1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
worst efficiency ever bendavanza All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 33 05-08-2009 05:33 PM
My worst efficiency ever, 58% RedSun All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 20 11-02-2007 03:06 AM
WORST brew day to date. Pirate Ale All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 06-11-2007 06:34 PM
My Worst Brew Day Ever Bernie Brewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 06-26-2006 12:57 AM
The worst day of brewing... texasgeorge All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 05-04-2006 11:45 PM


Forum Jump