spontaneous fermentation - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > spontaneous fermentation

Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
BehrBrews
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Richmond
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Last saturday, I brewed an IPA in which I miss calculated my boil off. I was left with 7-8 gallons. I put 6 in to my primary fermenter and pitch my starter. With the remaining 2 gallons I put it in my secondary but did not have any yeast to pitch. I was planning on getting yeast on Monday and pitching it. I got super busy at work and was unable to get to the brew store all week. The wort was left in my secondary glass carboy with a airlock, covered with a towel in mid 60 degree weather since Saturday. Today I removed the towel and see what appeared to be fermentation (about 1/2 Krausen an active airlock) A hydrometer measurement showed a drop of only .004. There is all so a moderately strong olive aroma. Whats going on? Can I let this sit for another couple days and see if the gravity drops further? Is it a lost batch? Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Allen TX
Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts

Taste it. It sounds like its fermenting.