National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Need your wisdom.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
SamD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need your wisdom.

So...I went out today, bought a brewing kit and the equipment, and started what will hopefully be a lifelong hobby.

The instructions that came from the shop to brew a basic beer told me to boil 2 gallons of water, and dump it, along with the malt extract and sugar into the primary fermentor and mix it all up. Then add cool water up to the 5 gallon mark. This is exactly what I did.

I later read instructions online telling me to boil the malt extract with the water for roughly 60 minutes.

So, my question is...did I mess it up? Or is it still good to go?

Another question...My wort is currently in an ice bath trying to cool down, should it be covered and sealed while doing so?

Any help is muchly appreciated. Cheers!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
spiffcow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You bought a Cooper's kit, didn't you? Don't worry, you'll be able to drink it, though it may not taste all that great. Count it as a learning experience.

Now go here, and read up a bit on brewing. Compare this batch to your next. Welcome to home brewing!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
SamD
Recipes 

It's a morgans kit. And thank you, i'm new to this and any help I can get is great!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to HBT!

A canned kit is a good way to learn sanitation and process. It should make drinkable beer but it won't be the best beer you ever make.

Kits that come with extract, hops, and sometimes steeping grains are a step up from the canned kits and will make a much better beer. After that you can decide how obsessive your brewing will become.

I never covered the pot while cooling but some folks do. Either way will work. Mainly you don't want anything falling in that could contaminate you beer. Don't worry, it is very hard to mess up beer!

One thing that can mess it up is following the direction to those kits that say your beer will be ready in X amount of days. Leave your beer in the fermenter for three weeks before thinking about bottling it up. The wait will be the hardest part of brewing!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 32

First of all, welcome to the obsession.

Second, I'm not familiar with Morgans, but is it a hopped extract? If so, you'll have beer when it's done. I would recommend brewing from extract recipes to get your process down, then move up from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
SamD
Recipes 

Yes, it's a hopped extract. So, by just pouring the can and the sugar in my fermentor along with boiling water, will everything be fine? Or is it crucial to boild it on the stove?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #7
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Palmer book that is linked above is a great place to start. A lot of people also like The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian as a starting off point. I'm not familiar with the type of kit you picked up, but you'll find a lot of extract kits that involve boiling the malt extract for 60 minutes. They also have hops and everything else you need. But yeah, it sounds like the kit you got will familiarize you with the basic process. Good luck!

Oh, and one final piece of advice- spend a lot of time reading on Homebrewtalk. Just do searches for questions that you come across and you'll gain tons on knowledge. This place is the best!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
SamD
Recipes 

Thanks a million! I'm glad I found this place.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamD View Post
Yes, it's a hopped extract. So, by just pouring the can and the sugar in my fermentor along with boiling water, will everything be fine? Or is it crucial to boild it on the stove?
For a kit like the one you bought, you'll be fine. There are a lot of kits that have unhopped extract, and you'll need to boil them for an hour or more. In fact, for your next brew, look for an unhopped extract kit so you'll better understand what you're doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #10
SamD
Recipes 

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. Another quesetion is...the bucket I was sold to be my primary fermentor just has a good airtight lid, no spots for stoppers or anything. Is this an issue? Or perfectly normal? I figure the stopper and such is for the carboy.