Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Need to Carb 4 kegs...Kegerator only holds 2!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
LongDukDong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need to Carb 4 kegs...Kegerator only holds 2!

I've been reading about carbing at room temp so i wanted to run an idea by you folks to see if it's doable or if there are any other tips or recommendations.

I'm having a little shindig in a couple weeks and would like to have 4 taps going but as i pointed out my kegerator only holds 2 kegs. Would it be a good idea to carb the 2 kegs in the fridge @ 15psi for a week, disconnect and carb the other 2 at room temp for a week at 35psi. Chill the room temp kegs the morning of the shindig in water & ice, release pressure and connect all 4 kegs at 12-15psi for serving?

I'm using picnic taps with 5' of hose and get mixed results on pours for whatever reason between pin and ball lock but nothing too bad.

Sound good to you folks?

Thanks in Advance!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Why not carb the two in the fridge til carbed appropriately. Then remove and put the other two in the fridge so they cool over night than carb those appropriately. That way you have all 4 kegs carbed correctly and all you need to do before serving is chill them.

Only down side is you don;t have anything on tap to drink during that time.

Tap 2:.
Primary:. Dark Alley Scottish Ale

Old 08-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would put the first two on at 30 PSI until they are chilled, then give them a good shake to get more CO2 into solution, then set at your desired pressure and leave for the rest of a total time of 1.5 weeks. Take those two out, then do the same with the other two kegs.

That should get your 4 relatively evenly carbed kegs if you can get them all chilled the same. It'll probably take a couple of days for the warmed up kegs to get all that CO2 back into solution, so you may want to figure out how you can start chilling the kegs a couple days in advance. You can always use the shake method to get more CO2 into solution once they are chilled.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2983 Times on 2892 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
Why not carb the two in the fridge til carbed appropriately. Then remove and put the other two in the fridge so they cool over night than carb those appropriately. That way you have all 4 kegs carbed correctly and all you need to do before serving is chill them.

Only down side is you don;t have anything on tap to drink during that time.
Because it takes 2 weeks for the simple method and he only has two weeks total. He would need 4 for this method.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
LongDukDong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it matters, I have a Brown Porter, Imperial IPA, Belgian Blonde and an APA. i figure the Porter and IPA can have a lower carb level than the Blonde and APA.

As for the recommendations, if i force carb at 30psi then shake, chill for a day, release pressure and adjust to 10-12psi for a 4-5 days, swap them out and do the same with the other kegs....Would the first rotation of kegs still be farely carbonated after sitting at room temp for a few days? I could have all 4 kegs carbed at 1 time but as you know only 2 can be chilled. I know....time for a keezer!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 751 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post
As for the recommendations, if i force carb at 30psi then shake, chill for a day, release pressure and adjust to 10-12psi for a 4-5 days, swap them out and do the same with the other kegs....
If you use the pressure / temperature chart, you won't have to shake. They will be ready to chill, hook up at serving pressure and pour. The CO2 in solution will be fine.

Edit:
This link goes to higher temperatures and may be more useful.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
LongDukDong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=AnOldUR;2211115]If you use the pressure / temperature chart, you won't have to shake. They will be ready to chill, hook up at serving pressure and pour. The CO2 in solution will be fine.

I see what you're saying, but wouldnt that take 2 regulators so i could carb the kegs at room and cooled temps? Or are you saying, no need for the shaking, just add 30psi to room temp kegs disconnect and let the 2 in the fridge sit at 10-12psi connected until they are ready to serve?

If so, i'm guessing i would periodically have to hit the room temp kegs at 30psi as the co2 is absorbed by the beer.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's my method:

Start with room temp kegs.

Put kegs into fridge, (mine is 37F). Hook up to 34 PSI CO2. Let sit for 48-60 hrs. Vent kegs, drop pressure to 11-12 PSI, sample.

60 hrs usually is very well carbed. 48 hours is usually slightly under.

I've yet to overcarb with this method, (except when I forgot about the kegs for a week!). I have overcarbed MANY times by shaking. Never shake, is my opinion.

Here's what I'd do if I were you. Put 2 warm kegs in the fridge, 30 PSI for 48 hrs. Drop to serving pressure, sample. If it's not carbed enough, give it 30 PSI for another 6-12 hrs, sample again. Then, swap kegs and repeat.

Shaking is for rattles.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
SeanT
Recipes 

LongDukDong - Yes, you would periodically have to hit them with some pressure to make sure they carb all the way up.

shortyjacobs - once he takes those kegs out of the fridge, CO2 will come out of solution, so his kegs will be undercarbed. He could use your method, but then when he takes them out of the fridge, put them at a "storing" pressure that would keep them carbed the same and then vent when he wants to serve and use his serving pressure. But AnOldUR's method would be easier, IMHO

Old 08-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
LongDukDong - Yes, you would periodically have to hit them with some pressure to make sure they carb all the way up.

shortyjacobs - once he takes those kegs out of the fridge, CO2 will come out of solution, so his kegs will be undercarbed. He could use your method, but then when he takes them out of the fridge, put them at a "storing" pressure that would keep them carbed the same and then vent when he wants to serve and use his serving pressure. But AnOldUR's method would be easier, IMHO
Nope.

If they are carbed to an equilibrium pressure of, say, 12 PSI in the fridge at 38F, then when he takes them out, they will warm up. As they warm up, the pressure inside of them will rise up to 25-30 PSI, the equilibrium pressure at that temp. However, CO2 is still all in solution. The pressure just follows the equilibrium line as temperature changes. When he puts them back into the fridge, they will cool down, and the pressure will drop back to 12 PSI.

I do this ALL the time. I carb up kegs, then put them in my basement. When ready to drink, I throw them in the fridge over night, (WITHOUT gas connected), so they can return to fridge temp. Then, I connect gas at 11-12 PSI and drink. They are still perfectly carbed.

A keg is a big bottle. Think about it, bottles don't "lose carbonation" when they warm. The CO2 you put in is the CO2 that's in there, regardless of temp. As long as the keg stays sealed, it will hold carbonation, regardless of temperature, indefinitely.

(Edit, again, to clarify, all CO2 will remain in solution as long as the keg remains sealed, no matter what the temp. The trick is, you have to cool the keg back down before connecting it to 12 PSI. If you don't, you WILL lose some carbonation as it cools down because you drop the pressure in the headspace.)

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.