American Wheat Beer Mason's American Wheat (w/options)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonsjax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029 Kolsch
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2-3 weeks
Tasting Notes
Very flavorful, but refreshing.
I've been brewing this simple recipe a lot lately. There's a good amount of wheat in this one, so be sure to use rice hulls if your system needs them, mine does not (I mash pretty thin and have not had problems). This is a delicious summer beer, and an excellent jumping off point for adding fruit, spices, and other whimsical adjustments. I have brewed most of the variations suggested below the recipe and they have all turned out delicious. The low flocculation and fairly clean profile of Kolsch yeast makes it perfect for american style wheat beer. Enjoy!

6.00 lb American Wheat
4.20 lb US 2-row
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (optional depending on your system)

0.33 oz. Galena [11.0%] @ 60 min

WLP029 German Kolsch Yeast

Mash at 154 F for 60 mins.
Boil 60 mins.

Optionally:
- Add .25 - .50 lbs honey or crystal malt
- Add fruit (eg: 6 cups strained watermelon juice; Strawberries; Citrus peel)
- Lots of late Amarillo or other C hops
- A handful or two of roast malt

I'm going to give this recipe a try tonight. I'll probably do a 10 gallon batch and add some fruit to half of it during secondary. I have some persimmon that I've been dying to put into a beer, and this sounds like a good candidate. When do you usually add your strawberries?

With fruit, i kinda play by ear. I've been adding fruit after about 2 weeks. Then I wait until things clear up and keg it. I've got watermelon on tap now that I added 6cups of strained juice to. It turned out good. I'm ready to keg another batch that has a half lb of honey malt. Let me know how yours turns out.

Latest posts

Back