HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > MrMalty - Two vials - Two Different Viability Dates

Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
yournotpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default MrMalty - Two vials - Two Different Viability Dates

I'm making a starter using WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen. Because it's a lager, I'm opting to go the route of using two vials. However, each vial has different 'use by' dates (one is for September 3 and the other for November 11). Anyone have an idea as to what the viability for this starter in the Mr Malty yeast rate pitching calculator? I played with the dates and it certainly plays a pretty large role in the size of the starter.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
optimatored
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it were me, I would do a 4 liter starter for that big of a lager and not worry about the production dates.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
bsdx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Since white labs tries to put an "expiration date" of 4 months after manufacture to come out to 50% viability, I would average the two. One is about 1 month old and the other 3 months old so I could tell the mrmalty calculator a date 2 months ago for figuring out a starter. It might not be scientific, but its also just a general guide.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Find the viability of each and add them. I got 75% for one and 27% for the other so you can assume 1 vial at 102% (production date is 4 months prior to date stamped on vial). Uncheck the "Calculate Viability from Date" and type in 102%. Move the growth factor slider until the "#Vials or packs needed with starter" shows 1. So for example, for a 5 gallon 1.054 lager starter on a stirplate, I get a 3 liter starter for your 2 vials.
Drinking: Tripel, Tired Hands Style IPA, Carrot Blossom Cedar Aged Mead, RIS, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, "Brett" Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy