Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The most irritating question

Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
zahrndt_usmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default The most irritating question

Ok, am I the only one who gets this? Everytime I talk about how I make my own beer (which is almost daily, im hooked big time and brewing a porter right now) I always have that one guy ask me everything about how I do it, and then asks me "So can you make a copy of something good, like Bud?" What the deuce!!! Bud?!?! since when is that a good beer, ever! I normally tell them to pee in a bottle add corn cap and wait 3 days, but does anyone else get a question that nearly insulting or irritating? or am i just being a beer snob? (I have always hated those kinds of beers, even in my college days) Just wondering....

ZFB: Zahrndt Family Brewing, Brewing since March 2010 and loving every minute of it! John Palmer is my hero.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The best part is that you could probably try really hard and never be able to recreate Bud. All you can do with people like that is educate and hopefully turn people into craft beer lovers. Why would that insult you?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I usually nod, smile, and say, "I can't brew anything that good!". And I never offer them homebrew again.

But, I do appreciate what BMC does, and do feel it has a place. I try very hard to avoid beer snob status.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
zahrndt_usmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I try not to be a beer snob, but bud? really?? Thats like asking me to recreate water. I started homebrewing because I love craft brew, but always thought that it could use a little tweak here and there, but asking me to replecate water with thats been fermented is just a little insulting. and I dont appreciate what BMC does, because there are much better beers out there with flavor... I dont know it just drives me nuts almost as much as aksing me what the differecnce between bud light, coors light, miller light, and pretty much every light is. As far as i know Ive never been able to tell a difference between any of em. I always recomend a decent hevewisen or pale ale or newcastle to em. hopefully I can make at least a few people expand their horizens to beer greatness.
ZFB: Zahrndt Family Brewing, Brewing since March 2010 and loving every minute of it! John Palmer is my hero.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
D-Ring
Recipes 

Don't be insulted by them, pity them. Some people in the BMC crowd will always be in the BMC crowd, but that's OK. To each his own.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Tell them it would take too long to let all the ingredients get stale and tasteless, and that you can only make fresh beer.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2934 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Yes, IMO, you are being a snob and turning your nose instead of taking the opportunity to possibly educate and open someone to a new world. And $100 says you could indeed not brew something well like Bud. Meaning, it takes a lot of skill to brew a beer like BMC and have it come out as clean as the commercial examples. It may not be your cup of tea, but try brewing a beer with nowhere for off flavors and mistakes to hide behind.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just say "not at their price".

Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6208 Times on 4421 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
I usually nod, smile, and say, "I can't brew anything that good!". And I never offer them homebrew again.

But, I do appreciate what BMC does, and do feel it has a place. I try very hard to avoid beer snob status.
Me too. Even my own dad doesn't get much of my beer at all. I made a cream ale for him this spring, when I knew he was coming for a visit. It's very similar to Genessee Cream Ale, his favorite beer. It was very hot out, and I greated him at the door with a beer after a 13 hour drive. His response? "This ain't any of that homebrew **** is it?" He took a sip and said, "Hey- this is GOOD!" and he proceeded to kick the keg that weekend. He didn't like anything else in my kegerator, and bought Budweiser after the keg kicked.

My dad is convinced that I may turn out to be a decent brewer someday if I work at it.

There is no point trying to convince him otherwise. I just don't bring him beer when I visit.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3632 Times on 2470 Posts
Likes Given: 2419

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Me too. Even my own dad doesn't get much of my beer at all. I made a cream ale for him this spring, when I knew he was coming for a visit. It's very similar to Genessee Cream Ale, his favorite beer. It was very hot out, and I greated him at the door with a beer after a 13 hour drive. His response? "This ain't any of that homebrew **** is it?" He took a sip and said, "Hey- this is GOOD!" and he proceeded to kick the keg that weekend. He didn't like anything else in my kegerator, and bought Budweiser after the keg kicked.

My dad is convinced that I may turn out to be a decent brewer someday if I work at it.

There is no point trying to convince him otherwise. I just don't bring him beer when I visit.
Your dad is clueless, no offense to your dad. But consider it a victory that you made a cream ale that he liked. It's much better to brew what he likes than to try and convince him he is missing out on a whole nother world of wonderful beer.

I have friends who like the lighter styles and I once brought a wit to a party and they pretty much dissed it. Now it wasn't my best effort, but come on, help me out by telling me what you don't like about it!

So my goal is to make something that they can appreciate. It's just not a goal I am interested in doing right away. Meantime I have been building experience in other styles. Styles that "I" like to drink.

Soon I will have a fermentation chamber and will have better chance of making a decent lager. Until I have that, I'm not that interested in making a thin, nearly tasteless beer for them.