Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Innis & Gunn Clone- I'm Going for it!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
Veinman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpavone View Post
Thanks so much for updating!

I was going to try and do this with the brew in a bag technique (I don't have a dedicated mash tun), I'll probably try and mash with less than the full volume, then transfer out 1Gal to boil down, return that to the kettle and top up with water for the full boil.

Think that should work ok?

Also, did you soak the oak chips in boiled/boiling water first, as was suggested?
The BIAB technique should work fine, just pull/pour a gallon out after your mash before sparging.
I boiled my chips for 10 minutes in water, no alcohol. I did it this way because I wanted the oak flavor without any strong alcohol flavors. If you were looking for a whiskey/rum/rye etc. flavor on top of the oak you could certainly soak your chips for a few weeks before transferring in the liquour of your choice.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #22
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok, it's been 8 days.....taste it and let us know. I'm drinking the original right now, and it's unbelievable. I was gonna go for the rum barrel aged but went for the original. Next time I'll try the rum aged.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
Ok, it's been 8 days.....taste it and let us know. I'm drinking the original right now, and it's unbelievable. I was gonna go for the rum barrel aged but went for the original. Next time I'll try the rum aged.
I've been tasting it every day and its hard to not get a second sample. I think the oak is pretty much dead on today so I'm going to give it 2 or 3 more days then bottle as I hear the oak flavor will fade a little during conditioning.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #24
awsmith4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Picking up the ingredients this afternoon and brewing tomorrow, I'll report back. Thanks again for sharing

Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #25
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

After all the waiting I am currently sitting here enjoying my first sips of my fully carbed Innis & Gunn Clone and comparing it to a bottle of the real thing. I'm very happy with how this came out. As I think I mentioned, this was the beer I most wanted to try and copy since I started brewing and I think mine is very close to the original.
The color is MUCH darker than the original but the taste is right on, it has a sweet taste, good body and then a nice oaky finish with just a hint of tannin in the after taste, the oak aroma is very nice as well and you'd never guess that its 7.1% ABV.

Overall I'm very excited with how this beer turned out. I think next time I may drop the Roasted Barley all together to lighten the color up and see if it adds anything to the beer, I'm already planning to rebrew this this weekend as I know the first 5 gallons are going to go fast.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #26
awsmith4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinman View Post
After all the waiting I am currently sitting here enjoying my first sips of my fully carbed Innis & Gunn Clone and comparing it to a bottle of the real thing. I'm very happy with how this came out. As I think I mentioned, this was the beer I most wanted to try and copy since I started brewing and I think mine is very close to the original.
The color is MUCH darker than the original but the taste is right on, it has a sweet taste, good body and then a nice oaky finish with just a hint of tannin in the after taste, the oak aroma is very nice as well and you'd never guess that its 7.1% ABV.

Overall I'm very excited with how this beer turned out. I think next time I may drop the Roasted Barley all together to lighten the color up and see if it adds anything to the beer, I'm already planning to rebrew this this weekend as I know the first 5 gallons are going to go fast.
Good to hear, I had some fermentation issues and had to re-pitch so mine is still a while off but your success makes me very hopeful.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Glad to hear it, Veinman, and I will probably be using the second recipe to make a batch of my own (though I may go lighter on the fermentables, I'm not too fond of one glass of beer giving me the spins).

Keep up the good work, and to those who are not fond of it, I disagree with you but will give my life so we can keep disagreeing. LOL

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 07-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #28
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would really like to try and brew some rum cask I&G clone, but I am not an all grain person, just an extract person.

How does one go about converting a recipe from all grain to extract with some specialty grains if needed?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #29
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just tried crafting a recipe with the beersmith free trial (pretty nifty software, might buy that one...) and came up with the following.

Can anyone take a look at this and let me know if it sounds like it will be decent? I know it will be beer, I just want it to be a clone of I&G, and to taste like it.

Thanks

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: I&G clone
Brewer: James Harron
Asst Brewer:
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.61 l
Post Boil Volume: 13.78 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.71 l
Bottling Volume: 21.20 l
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 37.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 18.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T- Yeast 6 -
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 1.4 IBUs
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 2 4.8 %
4.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 3 76.2 %
1.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 19.0 %
2.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Flavor 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg
----------------------------

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Soak oak chips in rum for 5 days. Add oak chips and rum to secondary and age for 7 - 10 days
(to taste).

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #30
mattpavone
Recipes 

Well I finally gave this a go, it's been in the fermenter almost a week, I'll transfer to secondary and add the oak this weekend.

A couple things, i added an extra pound of Maris Otter to make up for my Brew in a bag inefficiency, however it turned out I was much better than before. I expected 63%, ended up with 72%, so my OG was a bit high.

I did boil down 1 gal of the wort to 1 quart. REALLY concentrated the flavour and colour, I think that will make a difference in the final beer.

A couple questions for Veinman:

When did you put the boiled down wort into the boil pot? I added it about 30 min to go, just to keep the time down, it took about 1 hour to boil the gallon down.

How long did you end up oaking the beer for? I didn't see an actual time? I thought it was about 2-3 weeks, right?

And yes, it QUITE dark, almost like the Rum Cask version, just a bit redder and more opaque.