Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pacman

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
H22W
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyM
Anyone try this yeast in a cider?
Yes! I recently discovered how well Pacman works for cider. This season I have done 4 back to back gallons of cider with Pacman in my fridge.

I put a bit of Pacman in a gallon jug of cider in my fridge just to see what would happen. About a week later noticed the cider was actually carbing-up! It is a very slow fermentation that continues until the cider looses most of its color, all the sweetness, all the apple aroma, and finally most of the apple taste. I find the cider is very enjoyable from about week 1 to 3 when it is sparkling, semi-sweet, and still apple-ly. It is definitely something to enjoy before it fully ferments!

Eventually it becomes nothing more than yeasty smelling ethanol-water. So definitely drink it up before that point.

I have been using cold pasteurized (uv) local cider and none of my brewing sterilization techniques. I have fermented in the fridge right in the milk jug style containers the cider comes in. Just pour off a cup or so from the new jug and pour in a bit of the dregs from the old jug.

I did try one gallon out of the fridge. It was quite a vigorous fermentation, but it resulted in very bland ethanol-water. It lost almost all the apple characteristics and was not something I am going to bother with repeating.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
corwin3083
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Every time I've let Pacman get into the 70s, I've ended up with a crazy amount of phenols. In the best case, it wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting, but in the worst case, it was like drinking a band-aid milkshake.