Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Want to add Honey to my Hefe extract kit

Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
starrfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

#1 for honey last 5 min of boil should be plenty on a med/light wheat. will impart some honey But it will dry out your wheat. it will jack final ABV in similar numbers to corn sugar.
I do like to get my honey at least mostly pastureized at 180-190. for a few minutes. adding to boil at end for a minute or two will do it. 5 is safe while maintaining good honey notes, esp with wild honey. this is the way I do my honey corriander.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
starrfish
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchu_11 View Post
when making mead I know meaders like me have to add yeast nutriet. Since Honey dosn't isn't as nurishing as Malt. Maybe thats why it takes so long to ferment out. Just my 2 centabos
+1 on mead no nutrient needed with malt

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 09-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #13
wheatie
Recipes 

All I know is this: I made an extract hefe kit a few weeks ago and bottled today. The taste resembled honey very much, and I added none to my batch. (I fermented high--couldn't get it much colder than 72 with this ridiculous summer heat we've had)

Of course, that's today and it hasn't had a chance to bottle condition, and I generally think most worts so far taste the same. (That's probably terrible to admit!)

Old 09-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #14
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 17

i won't add honey to a hefe. it's just too delicate a flavor to mess with; too easy to overpower
Fermenting: APA

Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #15
starrfish
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
i won't add honey to a hefe. it's just too delicate a flavor to mess with; too easy to overpower
true hefe no... American wheat... yes.

true hefe has a strong profile (done some peach, raspberry, & strawberries and didn't over power yeast flavor using wyeast 3068) and it may stand up to some honey.... was thinking about doing a pound of local honey with some lemon balm herb in the spring... strong yeast

Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If it helps at all, mine got 2nd place in "specialty" at the local homebrew competition (very small). It tastes very much like banana-clove-honey. I still think it's too dry, but the judges really liked it...