Thanks to Deathbrewer and this link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-90132/
I was going to use Boerderij Kabouter’s method of brewing Cryptochronolite’s recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bell...22/index2.html
but the decoction was not going to happen (see below). I ended up with a straight heat in stepping mash as described below.
I’m fortunate that I have a Wolf gas range. Also, while brewing I realised that my 5 gallon stockpot was really only 4 gallons so I had to split the mash (3 gallons total) into to separate pots in order to have room for the grains and the water - roughly equivalent, only one had a grain bag. So the docoction method would have been ridiculously complicated as far as I could figure it. So I just stepped up both pots.
Here is what I did:
6lbs American 2 row
4lbs American White wheat
1oz Saaz 30min pellet
1oz Saaz 15min pellet
.5oz Saaz and 1oz Cascade at flame out.
Chicago tap water
dough in at 99 (112 and drift down with grains) rest for 10 minutes
raise both to 122 (one to 125, the other to 122) rest for 10 minutes
Raise both to 154 and rest 60 minutes.
Meantime, heat 4 gallons sparge water to 185 in a 7 1/2 gallon brew pot
Lift bag out, drain (I used a colander to help) and put bag with grains into a third pot. Pour grain/mash from non-bag pot over grains in the bag. Combine mash, add grain bag to sparge water pot. Temp dropped nicely to 169. Rest for 10 minutes. Lift bag out, drain put bag on colander over the third pot while bringing the sparge water up to boil. Once the sparge water has come to boil the grain bag was pretty well drained so I discarded the grains and poured the rest of the drained sparge into the big 7 1/2 gallon brew pot along with the combined mash. I had about 6 gallons at that point. Boiled for 1 hour. I added 1 ounce Saaz pellets (6.8 %) at 30 minutes, 1 oz at 15 minutes and 1/2 ounce at flameout. Also added 1 ounce Cascade (7.5%) at flameout. I chilled the wort by putting it in the sink and using exchanges of cold water (took about 45 minutes - 1 hour). Added 1/2 gallon water to bring final volume up to 5 gallons. Pitched a smack pack of Wyeast American Wheat yeast. Finished up at 1 am and by 6am it was bubbling away.
O.G. 1.059 (with temp correction after adding 1/2 gallon water - see above)
Primary for 5 days, rack to secondary
Secondary for 10 days, then bottle with 3 1/2 ounces corn sugar
This bubbled furiously for 3 days then nothing. I took S.G. measurements at days 4 and 5 and found no change so I racked into a Better Bottle Carboy to let settle. After 10 days I bottled with 3 1/2 ounces corn sugar. This picture is from 10 days post bottling.
This is a delightful cloudy summer wheat beer. I have to get some Oberon to see if it is really a clone but my daughter the college student's first words on tasting it were "Ooooh Daddy this tastes like Oberon!" It's very slightly sweet with a great head, good malt and wheat flavors. And my first all grain