Extract IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
Planning on doing something small in my spare mr beer fermenter.

2 gallon batch. Either 3 gallon, or 2.5 gallon boil. not sure yet.

45 min boil

2lb 8oz Pilsen DME
8 oz Cara40

.5oz Amarillo @45
.5 Cascade @20
.5 Amarillo @10
.5 Cascade @5 min

US-05 yeast

1.063 Og 66.6 IBU
1.016 Fg 6.3 ABV

How does this look? Would the IBUs overweigh the body the beer would have? Would a 60 minute boil be better? (69.5 ibu @60 min boil)

anyone? I think im going to do a 3 gallon boil, which will give me 2.25 gallons after 60 minutes. I am planning on adding the hops at 45 minutes which will give me about 59.6 IBUs.

Sounds pretty reasonable. What is the reason for going 45 minutes over 60? If you're IBUs work out, I don't see a problem. You'll have to use a few more hops that you would at 60, but since it's such a small batch it shouldn't matter. There was a discussion of an all late hop IPA recently where someone argued that anything below 60 will give you a less assertive bitterness, but I figure IBUs are IBUs. If 60 is where you want it, you should be fine. And with a 1.063 OG that gives you about a 1:1 BU:GU, which sounds good for an IPA.

Back