Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Easy Way to Make Sour Beers (1 gal wort + dregs)

Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #191
GiraffeBrew
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes, pumpkin wort. I work @ a brewery and pumpkin beer production has already started. So, as we were knocking out yesterday we pulled a 5gal sample to play with.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #192
badlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 16

sweet! I have only brewed one pumpkin beer, which I realy liked.
Hope your experiment turns out well.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #193
phished880
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well tonight was good and bad... I cracked open my 80 shilling with JP and Orval dregs, it's tastes amazing. Some sour some horse it's tasty. But, the wife got a sip( who am I kidding... She got the rest of the glass) now my 1 gallon supply does not look as plentiful as it once did.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #194
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I thought you were going to say" and she binned it!"
Good job well done

Old 06-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #195
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Yes, I agree that is the tough part about the 1 gal batches, if you have something great you have a short supply. The good news is you can use the dregs from your 1 gal container and go straight to a 5 gal batch (and then a barrel).

Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #196
Spring_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty
Yes, I agree that is the tough part about the 1 gal batches, if you have something great you have a short supply. The good news is you can use the dregs from your 1 gal container and go straight to a 5 gal batch (and then a barrel).
I have a 5 gallon batch going. Sounds like a need a barrel.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #197
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm getting ready to bottle my first one gallon sour. It's a persimmon amber ale that I pitched Brett Brux on all the way back in December. OG was 1.046, FG was 1.004. Aroma is all barnyard and there's a pleasant tartness on the front that really allows the persimmon flavor to shine through. The base beer for this was mediocre, so I'm very excited that this was a rousing success.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #198
ploppythesausage
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm two weeks in to a version of the Drunk Owl Mango Sour in the recipes section - decided to do one gallon due to not having enough room to store 5 gallons full of only one beer for 6 months. Doubled the OG from the orginal and used nelson sauvin hops (but with all the trub + hops + mango I'm down about a litre already ). Think i'll bottle in about a month and let that ride out and pitch the dregs from the one gallon straight into a 5 gallon batch - I'm going to need more of this stuff!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #199
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

dougdecines - I also did a persimmon beer that is now about 1.5 yr old. I added a lb of fresh frozen persimmons to my 1 gal batch with Russian River dregs. I only got a mild citric acid flavor from them. How much did you add?
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...lden-sour.html

ploppythesausage - I think the addition of Nelson hops to that beer sounds great. I just think you might get a better flavor from the hops if you add them 1 or 2 weeks before you're going to bottle. I have done this with batches that I age a year and then 2 weeks before I bottle I dry-hop them. I have been enjoying fresh hop character with some tartness in my beers.

Also I just did another dreg beer. I used Lost Abbey Red Poppy (using a starter in the bottle) in a 1 gal batch of Flanders Red. I had activity in 24 hrs and if my beer turns out anything like Red Poppy I'll be happy.
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...nders-red.html

Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #200
dougdecinces
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
dougdecines - I also did a persimmon beer that is now about 1.5 yr old. I added a lb of fresh frozen persimmons to my 1 gal batch with Russian River dregs. I only got a mild citric acid flavor from them. How much did you add?
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/201...lden-sour.html
According to my notes it was roughly 4 lb of persimmon pomace for a 2.5 gallon batch. These are the midwestern persimmons, so they tend to have a more pronounced flavor, even though they're not really a hand fruit. I gathered them in late October and ran them through a foley food mill to extract the pulp. I took the leftover stuff and used that in the beer.

The dregs were from Bayerischer Banhoff Leipzieger Porticus -- a baltic porter with, I believe, Brett Brux. I plan on washing the yeast from this last batch and pitching some of it on a gallon of a Belgian blonde with Rye I made last week.