Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > anyone use a "bazooka screen" in your brew kettle?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default anyone use a "bazooka screen" in your brew kettle?

I have a birthday coming up and my swmbo would like to get me something for my brewing hobby that might improve the clarity of my beer. I like to add the hops directly to the boiling wort w/o using the small sacks/bags because I read that this can give better hop utilization during the boil. Problem I have is that even using my auto-siphon I still get plenty of hops pieces floating around in my fermentor. Thus, I wondered if using this screen along with this valve assembly might be what is needed. She enjoys my hobby by consuming much of the beer I brew but would prefer to see "less stuff" floating in it.

Does anyone know how well these things work and if there is a big difference between brass and stainless steel for the valve assembly. This is definitely newbie territory for me.

Thanks...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kewle...-1-2-barb.html

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-bazooka-screen.html

Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Found some reviews at the NB site that says this does not work well with pellot hops which is what I use most of the time. Shoould have done a more thorough search prior to posting this question.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Yeah, it can be a pain with pellet hops, but all you have to do is scrap the hops off with a long spoon while draining. I've used a bazooka almost since day one and the clogging is annoying, but not enough to cause me to change to something else.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
balazs
Recipes 

I have on order a SS dip tube for my kettle that will pick up most all of the wort and leave the trub behind via whirlpool method. Check out Bargain fittings or brewershardware for there diptubes.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3459 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 2249

Absent a filter screen for the BK, I siphon at the top of the whirlpool, through the CFC, and into a kitchen strainer, which drains into another fine mesh screen and into the fermenter.

The kitchen strainer is the kind that forms a funnel shape, and the fine screen is an El Cheapo from Walmart that came in a pack of 2-3 of different sizes. When the first strainer starts to get clogged, I just dump it into a waiting bucket and let the fine mesh take over for a second or two. I usually get hardly anything until the BK starts to get low, then I'm still not too bad as long as I keep it to the outside.

I've got a large piece of SS mesh from the scrapyard and am looking to make a basket for the BK to eliminate this work.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use something similar to a bazooka screen in my keggle (see http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bazooka-t.html). I have never had any problems with it. I drain through a spigot, to my counterflow chiller, through a kitchen strainer and colander, and into my fermentation bucket.

The setup

The screen

The outlet

Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The trouble with a screen in the boil kettle comes when you use an immersion chiller and have all the cold and hot break clog it up.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Joelsyales
Recipes 

I use the Bazooka "T" screen in my Keggle and it does work fairly well but +1 on it sucking with pellet hops. I have to use a hop bag if I want consistent drainage of the keggle when using them.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelsyales View Post
I use the Bazooka "T" screen in my Keggle and it does work fairly well but +1 on it sucking with pellet hops. I have to use a hop bag if I want consistent drainage of the keggle when using them.
I've never had a problem with pellet hops and the bazooka-t. I even brewed a Pliny clone with almost 9 oz. of pellet hops in the boil. I now use a 5 gal. paint strainer bag which drastically reduces the hop sludge (maybe by 85-90%), but that was mainly to help keep it out of my fermenter, not to deal with drainage issues.

The hop strainer bag

Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Yeah, it can be a pain with pellet hops, but all you have to do is scrap the hops off with a long spoon while draining. I've used a bazooka almost since day one and the clogging is annoying, but not enough to cause me to change to something else.
I completely agree with all of this. +1