Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Aluminum Sparge Tank?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
broomzy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aluminum Sparge Tank?

I’m trying to put together an equipment list for my step into All Grain. I have the kettle and a cooler for my Mash tun. I want to fly sparge, but I need a vessel. I have found cheap 60 qt Aluminum pots, but I didn’t know if this would be a bad thing.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
o0weno
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Don't worry about the whole Alzheimer's thing. The guy who did that study was later debunked, or something along those lines. The amount of aluminum you would ingest from using it as a sparge pot would be so minimal it would be impossible to detect.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
broomzy
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering about off flavors. I'm semi-new to this and was always of the mindset that kettles need to be stainless to avoid off flavors, so I thought the same would be true for a sparge tank.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
schmagy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lots of homebrew shops repeat repeat and repeat that myth. I have yet to meet anyone who spouts that stuff who has actually experienced off flavors, they are just repeating what they have heard. always lots of studering when you ask if they have personal experience.

On the other hand, metallic off flavors can happen when pots have not been seasoned or when an over zelous clean freak over cleans them.... after boiling for one hour, aluminum is a great for making beer.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
broomzy
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. There is a 60 quart Aluminum pot at Sunday dinner for $58. It'll do just fine i think.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

To elaborate on the cleaning aspect of the aluminum pot I will give you my procedure.

After boiling I rinse everything out of the aluminum pot with my garden hose. Then I rub the pot down with my hand and a little dish soap and rinse it out again. To dry it, and this is the important part, I dry it off completely with a shammy.

I've read that aluminum pots have a tendancy to rust if even a puddle of water is left in the pot, and/or will make the pot brittle in the area that the water sat.
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
broomzy
Recipes 

Are there any special procedures for drilling the hole for the thermo and ball valve?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomzy View Post
Are there any special procedures for drilling the hole for the thermo and ball valve?
Yeah, be careful. You'll go through it really quickly and easily (i.e. it's easy to drill too big of a hole when using a step bit)...