is this growler gonna be dangerous to open?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
so i had the not so genius idea of bottling some of my last brew in a growler with a plastic screw on lid (actually i was just broke and out of bottles and its all i had), and now i am kind of afraid to open it...it hasnt broken yet, obviously, but the plastic cap is sort of bulging up from the co2. i know this wasn't a good idea, by the way, you dont have to tell me :D. has anyone ever done this? it isn't gonna explode in my refrigerator is it?

Yep. Growlers were never made to bottle in. I'd very carefully take that and put it in the fridge right now. Probably wear something protective just in case. Don't want to get glass in your face and hands if it decides to blow. Cooling it will allow a lot of the CO2 to dissolve into solution and relieve some of the pressure. 24 hours later you can carefully open it to let the pressure off. Both times I handled it, I'd have some heavy duty gloves, my leather jacket and a face shield on though.

Yup, been there, blew one up in the cellar. Why can't you simply crack the lid a little and let the co2 escape, or store it cold now, etc?

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

Just take it firmly with both hands, and shake vigorously!

Just kidding! Just chill it and slowly release the lid, you might want to have a pitcher handy and pour some in if it starts gushing.

well its been 4 weeks now and it hasnt blown...its in my fridge now...i just dont want to get yelled at for getting sticky ass hoppy ipa all over 200 dollars worth of groceries and in a BRAND NEW fridge..wouldnt it have blown by now? lol i have a bad feeling about this

i kinda doubt it would still be carbonated when i get home tonight if i opened it to let some of the gas out... i dont know though

I have bottled in growlers with plastic covers a few times, they have been fine. I know they aren't made for that, but I like taking risks. :mug:

i kinda doubt it would still be carbonated when i get home tonight if i opened it to let some of the gas out... i dont know though

It would be just fine. You just release a little excess pressure and the co2 in solution will still be in there.

Back