Using two Carboys - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using two Carboys

Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
SauceBoss
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Orlando, FL

Hi all,

I tried searching the forum but really wasnt sure what to search for so I figured I would ask here. I am new to brewing and for my birthday got a kit and two glass carboys. Somewhere I heard that after the original fermentation is complete in the first carboy, you could siphon the contents to a second sanitized carboy and let it sit for a few more days to help clarify the beer even more...does this sound right or is it unnecessary. I will be brewing a Bitter IPA, not sure if that helps or not.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Tinga

Recipes 

May 2010
MN
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

the process you described is using a secondary fermenter. most people on here only use secondaries when adding fruit or dry hopping. otherwise we normally just leave it in primary for four weeks then bottle or keg.

so if you plan on dry hopping or adding any fruit you don't need the second carboy right now. but i would hold on so you have more fermenters to do multiple batches at once.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

All a matter of personal preference. I like to go 3 weeks in primary and a week in secondary for extra clearing since I can be a klutz when I siphon. Either way, extra time is always good for your beer, so don't feel you have to bottle a few days after fermentation stops, whether you use a secondary or just a primary.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
SauceBoss
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Orlando, FL

Thanks Tinga, thats what Ill do then unless I plan on dry hopping. Not planning on actually brewing till this weekend (waiting for my brew kettle to get here lol).

ChshreCat, do you keep the same temps as you did for the first fermentation as you do for the second?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Mar 2009
California
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

temperature control is really only necessary during primary fermentation (the active foamy stage of brewing). after that you only need to keep it under 80F to help preserve the flavor.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
SauceBoss
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Orlando, FL

Thanks for all of your replies. So in order Ill do:

Primary Fermentation until the hydrometer readings dont change after a few checks
Secondary fermentation for extra clarity and to age a bit longer
Then, Bottle conditioning.

When all is said and done, I will def post an update. Thank you again and if you have any more tips they would be highly appreciated.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Malticulous

Recipes 

Aug 2008
St. George Utah
Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts

Or you can make bigger batches and use both for primary.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Home, where the beer is, NH
Liked 108 Times on 93 Posts

What size carboys did you get?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
JLem

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceBoss View Post
Thanks for all of your replies. So in order Ill do:

Primary Fermentation until the hydrometer readings dont change after a few checks
Secondary fermentation for extra clarity and to age a bit longer
Then, Bottle conditioning.

When all is said and done, I will def post an update. Thank you again and if you have any more tips they would be highly appreciated.
Personally, I would let it sit in primary even after the hydro readings plateau. Even if fermentation is complete, the yeast will metabolize secondary compounds and "clean up" the beer. Don't move the beer off the yeast too soon. I like to let my beers sit in primary for at least 10-14 days (sometimes even longer), even if I'm at FG after only 4 or 5 days.

My Beer Cellar

Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

+1 on the longer primary. Yeast create byproducts when they ferment wort into beer. After the sugars are all gone, they eat up those byproducts as they go dormant. If you want good, clean tasting beer... longer time in primary is where it's at.