anyone in mechanical/architectural drafting or an architect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbyebluesky82

Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask if anyone was, or has been in these fields on the forums.

I'm 27. I have no college degree. I am currently working for ______ insurance company. It is entry level, but we are huge and there are opportunities to advance in years to come. I just think being in insurance will suck my soul out one day, its just a job so I can get by.

I want to go to school, obtain an associates in architectural technology with a heavy emphasis in CAD drafting, and maybe follow up with some certifications that are offerred to have more specialized CAD training. I am hoping this could lead to a job as a drafter.

What I am not sure about though, is whether I should shoot for trying to turn this into an 4 year architectural degree later on with the intent of being an architect, or go into more mechanical drafting and just make a career out of that. Civil engineering is a possibility as well.

I just want a shop thats a bit technical (I would enjoy that aspect), that I could at least get my foot into the industry with an associates from a tech school, and then work from there.

Any thoughts or reccomendations from anyone here?

You say you work for an insurance company but your profile says forklift operator. Is that for picking up all the money? :D

Your post caught my eye because took drafting and architect classes for 4 years during JR and high school. I really enjoyed it and although nothing ever came of it I have a skill for drawing up plans and putting ideas down on paper.

You say you work for an insurance company but your profile says forklift operator. Is that for picking up all the money? :D

Your post caught my eye because took drafting and architect classes for 4 years during JR and high school. I really enjoyed it and although nothing ever came of it I have a skill for drawing up plans and putting ideas down on paper.

Ha! I used to drive forklifts, yes. I've just never updated my info on HBT. Heck, I went practically a year without even logging in while I stopped brewing for a bit. Geez, my profile even said I was still married! Oops.

I as well, have taken summer classes in drafting; of course it was a pencil and t-square then a decade ago. And I did a bit of CAD in tech classes. I remember loving it.

I am a CAD tech at a Civil engineering firm. The job may be interesting and challenging at first, but after a while it turns into mindless monotony, as every job seems like the last and you're just applying pre-made styles and using templates that are tweaked to suit the job. It's a production environment, so after a while, you feel like a factory worker on an assembly line, except that they get to actually move around, you will just be sitting there all day in front of that computer, barely moving your index finger while the rest of your body wastes away.

Other than that, it's great.

Ha! I used to drive forklifts, yes. I've just never updated my info on HBT. Heck, I went practically a year without even logging in while I stopped brewing for a bit. Geez, my profile even said I was still married! Oops.

I as well, have taken summer classes in drafting; of course it was a pencil and t-square then a decade ago. And I did a bit of CAD in tech classes. I remember loving it.

Yeah, turning 50 in about 3 weeks my training was ALL pencil and paper on a drafting board, no computers AT ALL. Our blueprints were actual blueprints. :D
I still have a bunch of stuff I did back then, not too long ago I came across them and showed them to my fiancee. It was amazing how much time used to be spent on making drawings by hand, not to mention the patience I had back then.

Wow guys. Thanks for pissing on my parade. JK.

I know a Civil Engineer, she said it got boring sitting in front of a computer all day. But I do that already, and have deal to with people's #%$% because they don't understand how their insurance policy works. As far as a strictly drafting type job- civil would be my last choice. Much more interested in architectural or even mechanical.

Go learn Catia V5. I hear a big name airline company is heading down you way from the PNW. Catia is THE standard. SolidWorks wouldn't be bad to know either, but Catia will get you the jobs. The degree is necessary, even for entry level stuff. Very few outfits hire stickly drafters instead choosing to hire engineers to do the work from conception to blue-printing, and why not when the software will basically build a drawing for you from your models. Plus with the degree you'll make more. Don't expect it to be a exciting career path though...

If you want to be an architect or mechanical engineer or whatever, just go for it. Don't dink around with a 2 year, than a 4 year...you'll end up stalled in a dead end. CAD drafters are a dime a dozen but they are also the most profitable part of most Architect or MEP offices. They are a commodity for the most part. When times are good, you bring a bunch more in to crank out the drawings. When times are tight, they are some of the first to hit the highway. Meanwhile, there is no incentive from the company to train them up and out of those positions, because they would just cost more.

I've known a lot of good CAD jockeys that started with your intentions but never got out of the pit. They had the brains but then life happened. No one lifted them up nor did they have the time or initiative to do it themselves. Don't look at it as a stepping stone, just go to school for what you ultimately want to do.

</soapbox>

Can I get an update? <---- there has got to be a nifty forum phrase that covers this in 4 letters im sure.

+1 for mechanical engineering. BUT! Try to find a mechanical engineering technology program. The coursework is more of a hands on approach rather than in-depth analytical. What I think makes ME interesting is that it allows you to use skill sets from many genres to solve problems. You're given a great tool bag of knowledge on just about every subject. It also makes life more interesting, because I feel much more educated about all the physical operations occurring around me. For instance, I continuously think about thermodynamics anytime anything in my life involves a change in temperature. Makes me happy knowing i know what is going on.

Please tell us if what you decide to do!

I am a low voltage designer, I work and at a Mech/Elec engineering firm and it is an ok way to make a living but it won't be the dream you are dreaming.

Honestly I say stay in insurance and take the opportunities to advance. A friend of mine works insurance and got his own office. He hired some great people and they do 80% of his work and he comes in for the big clients. Other then that he is out hunting or fishing enjoying the world I only get to see through a window.

I'd say opt for the full engineering degree of your choice, or architect. A degree gives you many more opportunities in your career than a tec position. It also gives you a lot more variety in your workday as compared to a drafter.

I'm an engineer and will echo what many have already said. Get the engineering degree. I have worked for a company that has laid off drafters and pushed that responsibility onto the engineers.

An engineering degree will offer more opportunity. I'd also recommend avoiding the MET degree. Some places will not consider METs over MEs.

Back