Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cooling wort question

Old 08-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Somerville
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Cooling wort question

Ok, so I dont have a wort chiller..whats a good way to cool my wort when its done boiling? I use to dunk it in a filled sink with water and ice cubes but this didnt do anything at all..whats your guys opinion? Thanks!

I read someone putting 7lbs of ice in their fermenter but Im afraid the ice will be dirty...

(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1
Dusseldorf Style Altbier #1

Old 08-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Wayne Havens
Recipes 

I am assuming you are not doing a full 5 gallon wort boil. When I do a partial wort boil (2.5-3 gallons after boil) here is what I do. I go to the store and buy bottled water. Personally I get Ozarka, but the brand is personal preference. I buy the 2.5 gallon jugs. I buy 3. I use almost 2 of them in the wort. When I first get the wort to a boil I move the last unopened one from the fridge to the freezer. I check that periodically while the wort is boiling. I take it out just as the first ice crystals are forming on the top.(usually right about when I am finished boiling the wort. I then but the almost frozen water (about 34-36 degrees) into the fermenter and then pour the wort on top of that. I generally brings the temp down to about 75-80 degrees, almost the temp for pitching the yeast. That has worked fine for me for many batches.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:23 PM   #3
Wayne Havens
Recipes 

oh yeah, almost forgot,

Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!

Old 08-12-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Somerville

Recipes 

haha thanks that sounds good
(None)

Bottled
(None)
R.I.P.
Dry Irish Stout #1
German Pilsner #1
American Pale Ale #1
California Ale #1
Dusseldorf Style Altbier #1

Old 08-14-2005, 04:00 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I place 4 - 1 gal jugs in the freezer for several (3-4) hours before I start brewing.

The temp afterwards is always in the 70s and sometimes in the 60s.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
timdsmith72
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Havens
I am assuming you are not doing a full 5 gallon wort boil. When I do a partial wort boil (2.5-3 gallons after boil) here is what I do. I go to the store and buy bottled water. Personally I get Ozarka, but the brand is personal preference. I buy the 2.5 gallon jugs. I buy 3. I use almost 2 of them in the wort. When I first get the wort to a boil I move the last unopened one from the fridge to the freezer. I check that periodically while the wort is boiling. I take it out just as the first ice crystals are forming on the top.(usually right about when I am finished boiling the wort. I then but the almost frozen water (about 34-36 degrees) into the fermenter and then pour the wort on top of that. I generally brings the temp down to about 75-80 degrees, almost the temp for pitching the yeast. That has worked fine for me for many batches.
I just tried this tonight. It worked great.