use an Immersion Chiller as a HERMS coil? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > use an Immersion Chiller as a HERMS coil?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
slakwhere
 
slakwhere's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 764
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts



so i lost a couple degrees on my mash the other day, and i started thinking about ways to get the mash temp to stay put. the idea of HERMS has always intrigued me, but i don't want to hard-plumb the equipment into the MLT because i think it'll be more of a pain to stir, clean, etc.

my thought was that if i had a decent Immersion Chiller (mine is short and small diameter) then i could hook my pump to it, and pump hotter water through my IC in the MLT as a removable HERMS. then when i'm done, pull the IC, rinse it off and set it aside until i use it in the boil kettle at the end of the boil.

does this idea make sense? any negative repercussions?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
rcrabb22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Illinois
Posts: 714
Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
so i lost a couple degrees on my mash the other day, and i started thinking about ways to get the mash temp to stay put. the idea of HERMS has always intrigued me, but i don't want to hard-plumb the equipment into the MLT because i think it'll be more of a pain to stir, clean, etc.

my thought was that if i had a decent Immersion Chiller (mine is short and small diameter) then i could hook my pump to it, and pump hotter water through my IC in the MLT as a removable HERMS. then when i'm done, pull the IC, rinse it off and set it aside until i use it in the boil kettle at the end of the boil.

does this idea make sense? any negative repercussions?
what would be your hot water source? I would look into building a RIMS

check this out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/ No disrespect intended

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Ranger9913
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Nashville
Posts: 299
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I think you have it backwards. Most people (including myself) pump the wort through a stainless or copper coil resting or fixed in the HLT. Using a PID I can easily maintain to 1 degree difference. If you were using it manually, turing the pump on and off I bet you could easily stay within 2-3 degrees depending on how close you watch it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
slakwhere
 
slakwhere's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 764
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
what would be your hot water source? I would look into building a RIMS

check this out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/ No disrespect intended
i have a 3 keggle system, so my thought was to pump from the HLT through the HERMS to the MLT and then back.

not really loving the idea of the RIMS. but don't worry, we can still be friends

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
slakwhere
 
slakwhere's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 764
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger9913 View Post
I think you have it backwards. Most people (including myself) pump the wort through a stainless or copper coil resting or fixed in the HLT. Using a PID I can easily maintain to 1 degree difference. If you were using it manually, turing the pump on and off I bet you could easily stay within 2-3 degrees depending on how close you watch it.
cleaning the inside of that tube seems more painful than cleaning the exterior of the coil... but i guess a flush with some PBW or something would solve the problem.

Is your pid temp sensor in your MLT or your HLT when you do this? and are you switching on and off the pump or the heat?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Ranger9913
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Nashville
Posts: 299
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I continually pump the wort through the coil in my HLT and I tell my PID to maintain within +- 1 degree of 156 degrees. This keeps my mash at 154 for as long as I need it. I use an electric element in my HLT so this is very easy to do. If didn't want to automate and was using propane I would simply heat my HLT tank up to about 200 degrees and turn my pump on as needed to maintain my mash temp. You could under

I'm using a BCS-460 and I have temp probe in 4 locations MLT, HLT, BK and return manifold.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
slakwhere
 
slakwhere's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 764
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts


i am currently propane not electric, so i think i'd have to hook the PID to the pump and only have it circulate when the temp is below what i want. pump in a toolbox with a light switch would prolly make it pretty easy to manually control.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


the fact that I already had a copper coil IC was what pushed me to build a HERMS system rather than a RIMS system.

Cleaning the inside of the coil isn't really that bad. I boil some water, add a bunch of oxiclean, and then pump through the coil for 10 minutes or so when I am done brewing and call it done.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
i am currently propane not electric, so i think i'd have to hook the PID to the pump and only have it circulate when the temp is below what i want. pump in a toolbox with a light switch would prolly make it pretty easy to manually control.
You can use a PID to control propane burners, too. You need solenoid valves and a pilot light, but it can be done.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
slakwhere
 
slakwhere's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 764
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts


Walker, so you took your IC and turned it into a HERMS coil? what do you use to cool your boiled wort now?

and yes, i could get a PID to control my propane, that's starting to get expensive, complex and potentially more dangerous... the trifecta of doom.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HERMS HEX coil Drake371 DIY Projects 9 12-23-2013 03:06 AM
Dual Coil immersion chiller Mobstar DIY Projects 15 02-18-2012 07:45 PM
HERMS Coil Placement EuBrew Brew Stands 4 08-31-2009 06:08 PM
Herms Coil Help rj_hockey Brew Stands 3 03-13-2009 01:11 PM
HERMS HEX coil? Gumbys_Brew Brew Stands 9 02-27-2009 10:18 PM


Forum Jump