Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Can you Brew It recipe for Firestone Walker Union Jack

Old 08-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
From what I remember from the first show that covered the basics for all of the recipes, I thought they stated that WLP002 was the house yeast for all of Firestone's beers.
This is correct. He mentioned that they like the flavor and high flocculation they get from the strain.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywolfie1015 View Post
This is correct. He mentioned that they like the flavor and high flocculation they get from the strain.

I did not listen to the other Firestone Walker shows, so you guys know more than I do. However, I just listened to the Union Jack show again, and at the very end-maybe 2 minutes remaining, the topic of yeast comes back up and they do reference Stone, and some other breweries, but it sure sounds like Jamil says that they are always guessing about the yeast, as no one ever tells them. Then says that 007 is the right yeast for this beer? I will try it with 007 and report back!

Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
heywolfie1015
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Tim, at least on this one, I'd go with the recipe they suggest (if you're trying to clone 100%). The crew was convinced this is the closest clone they ever made, and Tasty apparently used WLP002. 007 will probably make a damn fine beer, though, so totally your call.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywolfie1015 View Post
Tim, at least on this one, I'd go with the recipe they suggest (if you're trying to clone 100%). The crew was convinced this is the closest clone they ever made, and Tasty apparently used WLP002. 007 will probably make a damn fine beer, though, so totally your call.
Decisions, decisions. I just checked out the Brewing Network discussion board about this beer, and the same debate came up. Apparently the brewer, Matt said "English Ale" and one of the posters on that board said he toured the brewery and was told that FW uses 3 different English yeasts, and that UJ uses the more attenuative English strain.....hmmm. I see a 12 gallon split in my future- 6 gallons with 002 and 6 gallons with 007.

Thanks, Tim

Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
heywolfie1015
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, I'm willin toadmit when my crow tastes good. I'll be interested to hear how this turns out for you.
deroosa Likes This 
Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
jmsullivan73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"RO Water. Add gypsum and CaCl to 100ppm"

What does this mean? Does anyone have a suggestion of a water profile for this beer?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsullivan73 View Post
"RO Water. Add gypsum and CaCl to 100ppm"

What does this mean? Does anyone have a suggestion of a water profile for this beer?
RO = Reverse Osmosis water: I get this water at a vending machine at my local supermarket. It is basically free of any minerals, chlorine, chloramides, etc.

Adding gypsum and CaCl to 100 ppm is based on 6 gallons of wort. I don't have the brewing calculator handy, but here is Palmer's intro to water adjustment.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
jmsullivan73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
RO = Reverse Osmosis water: I get this water at a vending machine at my local supermarket. It is basically free of any minerals, chlorine, chloramides, etc.

Adding gypsum and CaCl to 100 ppm is based on 6 gallons of wort. I don't have the brewing calculator handy, but here is Palmer's intro to water adjustment.
Thanks for the reply. I guess my question was not very clear... It seems you would add x grams of gypsum (CaSO4) and and y grams CaCl to create a water profile containing - Ca, Cl, and SO4 (completely neglecting Mg, Na, or bicarbonates). Of these, which ones are to be at 100ppm? Also, for a hoppy beer it seems that you would want a sulfate to chlorine ratio around 3:1. That being said, I would suspect SO4 should be closer to 300 if Cl is 100 and Ca around 100?

Any thoughts?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #19
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsullivan73 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess my question was not very clear... It seems you would add x grams of gypsum (CaSO4) and and y grams CaCl to create a water profile containing - Ca, Cl, and SO4 (completely neglecting Mg, Na, or bicarbonates). Of these, which ones are to be at 100ppm? Also, for a hoppy beer it seems that you would want a sulfate to chlorine ratio around 3:1. That being said, I would suspect SO4 should be closer to 300 if Cl is 100 and Ca around 100?

Any thoughts?
Unfortunately, I can not answer this question for you. I just type what I hear. I am just now starting to get into water chemistry. I would recommend looking at How To Brew, listening to the water shows on Brew Strong, and if that does not answer your question, contact Tasty. If you are on facebook, friend request him and ask him. He always seems very happy to answer questions.

Eric

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 08-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes