Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > is it sour or soured?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
hoppymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default is it sour or soured?

I took 1/2 batch of summer wheat and put in on top of 2lbs of vodka soaked blackberries. I left it there for a little over 3 weeks and bottled. I had an oil slick look about it, but I figured that was because I had left it on the berries so long.The beer tastes fine, but it has quite a sour kick to it. So is it just sour from the berries or soured from an infection?

PS. I've never had a lambic to judge it against.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Blackberries are pretty sour regularly, and once you ferment the sugar out, they can get super mouth puckering. I waaaaaay overdid a raspberry wit earlier this year, it tasted like a freaking blue slush puppy and was the mouth puckering equivalent of a sour patch kid. I had to blend it with another keg just to make it drinkable.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
Blackberries are pretty sour regularly, and once you ferment the sugar out, they can get super mouth puckering. I waaaaaay overdid a raspberry wit earlier this year, it tasted like a freaking blue slush puppy and was the mouth puckering equivalent of a sour patch kid. I had to blend it with another keg just to make it drinkable.

Thats not a bad idea, but I have already bottled them. I'll let them age a bit to see how it is in a few more weeks. If it get ridiculous, I will make another 1/2 batch to stir them in with and keg it