airlock when racking to a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berudd

Reaction score
This is my first time racking to a secondary. I used the new carboy I got for Christmas and the stopper did not have a hole for my airlock. Is this going to be OK? Fermentation seemed to have stopped a couple of days ago so I would not think there would be alot of CO2 produced at this stage.

Thoughts?

Don't put the stopper on very tight - there will likely be a bit of fermentation continuing through this stage.

You can use a regular drill bit to put a hole in the stopper and affix your airlock - use high RPMs, and feed the bit slowly.

Get a stopper with a hole from your homebrew store. Make sure the stopper is big enough so about 1/2" sticks out of the top of the carboy after you push it in...this way you eliminate the possiibility of the stopper falling into the carboy which could suck.

I racked my porter to secondary after about 8 days in the primary and it was bubbling away this morning!!

Back