Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Substituting Munich for pale 2-row

Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Vermicous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Substituting Munich for pale 2-row

My LHBS was wiped out by the Christmas/New Year's rush. No bags of 2-row of any kind were to be found. This guy has been known to forget to order shipments, I waited a month once for him to get new grain and fermenters. I am generally impatient, so I picked up a bag of Munich instead.

I am doing a Bass ale clone, substituting Munich for pale malt. Has anyone tried this? I have read that it can be done, but I have not seen any posts of what the result is. In any case, I will know in about 6 weeks.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 109

You can certainly use Munich as a base malt, but you're not going to be making a Bass clone anymore! I like Munich a lot, I've been using it in a lot of my recipes, but it's a lot darker and "maltier" than base malt. Personally, I'd forget about making the clone and develop a new recipe around what I had for ingredients. The porter I made at Glib's house had a lot of Munich (either 3 or 5#, IIRC). What else do you have for ingredients?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Isn't Munich a bit less modified than most 2-Row pale base malts? You may want to keep this in mind when formulating a recipe. Your efficiency may not be where it normally is w/out the enzymes you would get from your traditional base malt.

I'm sure someone will let me know if I am wrong on this.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I'm not sure if it's technically less modified or if some of the enzymes have been denatured by the kilning process, but yeah, you can't count on Munich to convert much more than itself. No adding oats or anything like that to the malt (unless you have some 6-row kicking around). Shouldn't be a problem if the other ingredients are crystal malts and others that don't really need converting.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 01-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

It won't be Bass. Major maltiness, even Octoberfests rarely go over 60% Munich. Should be very interesting, so post the final recipe and keep us posted.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-05-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Some beers use Munich as base malt exclusively, don't they? I'm pretty sure that's the advice I received when formulating my quasi-altbier.

Incidentally, I'm tasting this for the first time since bottling, Munich is 47% of the grist, and it is excellent. Good hoppiness against a very smooth malt backbone. My best to date.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
uglygoat

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you can make a great pale ale with munich malt. it is nice and malty.

15 lbs muncih malt
1 lbs 60l
a bunch of noble german hops
london ale yeast

yummy!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 AM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Some beers use Munich as base malt exclusively, don't they? I'm pretty sure that's the advice I received when formulating my quasi-altbier.
Lots of German beers use Munich exclusively (at least traditionally)...that was what they had. Oktoberfests, Maerzens, Doppelbocks can and do use Munich as the exclusive base malt. American microbrewers might not do many 100% Munich beers, but that's a different story altogether.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:42 AM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Lots of German beers use Munich exclusively (at least traditionally)...that was what they had. Oktoberfests, Maerzens, Doppelbocks can and do use Munich as the exclusive base malt. American microbrewers might not do many 100% Munich beers, but that's a different story altogether.
I have a feeling I'll be buying Munich in bulk before all is said and done....

Incidentally, what's the difference between Vienna and Munich? I always see them lumped in together; is Vienna just a little lighter and a little less malty, but still basically the same?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:47 AM   #10
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I have a feeling I'll be buying Munich in bulk before all is said and done....

Incidentally, what's the difference between Vienna and Munich? I always see them lumped in together; is Vienna just a little lighter and a little less malty, but still basically the same?
Yep, Vienna is kilned a little less, usually to ~3.5L while Munich is kilned to 6L and up. I used 6L in an Oktoberfest and while it was good and malty I wasn't entirely satisfied with the color and maltiness. I just brewed a Doppelbock with a combination of the 6L and 10L from Weyermann (Types I and II) so I'll see how that goes.

I've seen Munich as high as 30L, but I've never tried it...probably pretty weak diastatically speaking.