Anyone Ever Collect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
I did when I was in high school in the late 1970s. Believe it or not, back then it was quite a popular hobby for teenagers in my area - mostly males - to collect beer cans. Today, the politically correct police and MADD mothers would get their undies in a bundle over something like that!

I used to have ~500 at one time and I had a friend who had nearly 1500 that lined the walls of his parent's basement rec room. When they retired and sold the house in the mid 1980s, the cans were left behind as part of the deal!

I still have about 100 of the more unusual cans displayed in my kitchen. Almost all the breweries they represent went under by the late 1980s. One of my favorites looks like this one:
oldtimerswestflat1.jpg

Rhoobarb said:
I did when I was in high school in the late 1970s. Believe it or not, back then it was quite poular in my area for teenagers - mostly males - to collect beer cans. Today, the politically correct police and MADD mothers would get their undies in a bundle over something like that!

I used to have ~500 at one time and I had a friend who had nearly 1500 that lined the walls of his parent's basement rec room. When they retired and sold the house in the mid 1980s, the cans were left behind as part of the deal!

I still have about 100 of the more unusual cans displayed in my kitchen. Almost all the breweries they represent went under by the late 1980s.

That explains it! Quite often, I see people on Craigslist selling their can collections.

In college, we used to collect bottles. I had a HUGE 4-shelf organizer filled with empty 40's and bottles of Jim Beam.

I remember when I was about 15 calling round to a friends house to meet up before we went on to the pub to sneak a quiet pint or two (happy days....)
His Dad was in so we sampled his home brewed bitter and perused the 3 or 4 sacks full of beer mats that he'd collected all round Britain in Pubs.

But collecting cans? That's just scrap metal dealing.....;)

Caplan said:
...But collecting cans? That's just scrap metal dealing.....;)

No, no! It's art collecting!:D

And over there in the UK, you had much easier access to one of the true classic beer can series of the 1970s and true works of art in their own right - the Tennants Girls!

Someone posted other pics of the Girls from earlier cans on here in the past. I used to drink Tennant's lager when I was younger but sadly missed the delights of 'Sylvia' and friends.

I love how you called it 'one of the true classic beer can series of the 1970s'. - Spoken like a true collector Rhoobarb! :D

My sophomore year in college, I was in a coed dorm and one of the women on the floor had several hundred TAB cans lining the wall of her room. Now that was strange.

[I like Sylvia best]

IN college, my roomate and I made a cool table out of Bud cans. We glued them into rings and glued several rings atop one another until we hit the desired height. The top was a 1" thick piece of glass from a porthole. It was cool. Razor blades wouldn't scratch the surface, so it was very useful for... things. After I got married it didn't seem to fit the decor that SWMBO had in mind.

I know a guy that made a room divider out of cans. Laid them on their side and piled them two deep up to the ceiling.
He likes a drop!

i have probably 100 or so classic (20-40) years old cans ..anything American worth any $? I was going to sell them in this springs yard sale..you know to keep the women off my back about my future kegging plans

Kegofclub said:
i have probably 100 or so classic (20-40) years old cans ..anything American worth any $? ...

It really depends on what you have. For any can to be worth anything more than a buck or two these days, it has to be rare - and by rare, I mean a can that was a limited run or a beer that didn't last very long on the market. You can get more by selling to a collector, but I wouldn't expect to get much for them at a garage sale.

There is a nice, concise article here and some items listed here. The BCCA publishes a buyer's guide called United States Beer Cans that you might find at the local library.

rdwj said:
When I was a kid, one of the neighbors collected cans. He was about 8 years older than me and it seemed like a bunch of his friends did it too. From what I recall, he was 17-18 when he started and had a pretty cool collection.

You don't hear about it much anymore, but this lady is somewhat inspiring with her can collection

oh man that site was hillarious, nice lame t shirts and boob shots :drunk:

EdWort said:
Any old farts out there remember this guy?

cs-1.jpg

I may not be an old fart; he's well before my drinking days, but I definitely remember him. For some strange reason, he brings back childhood memories. Don't ask me why; because I couldn't even begin to give an answer.

Me and couple friends hold onto 1 bottle of each kind that we try. We're approaching 200 and trying to make more room.

I had a can collection, but it got messed up..................

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see her face but she did have some big cans, I mean nice cans, I mean perky cans.... aww nevermind I'm going to go watch the vidio!!

Back