Pouring from keg into bottle - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Pouring from keg into bottle

Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
timm747

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Baltimore
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know they make beer guns and the like for bottling from a keg. But if I have a new keg of Stout that I want a co-worker to try, can I pour a bottle tonight from my tap, cap it and take the bottle into work tomorrow? Will it be as good as if it were poured directly out of the tap?

Would it be better if I poured it in the morning before work, capped it and took it in?

It's already carbed and tasting mighty good.

Thanks.

Tim

Old 07-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
drummerguysteve
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Seattle, Washington
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My first thought is that if you keg, and might want bottles, you might as well get a counter-pressure filler, or a beer gun. It's nothing compared to the expense of the keg setup, and I've enjoyed my counter-pressure filler so far. Bottles are a very cheap way to store beer after you've force carbed.

As for the immediate problem, do you have any emtpy growlers lying around? I don't use my counter-pressure filler when filling a growler (search "exploding growlers"), because I'm worried about it blowing up on me. They seem to last a good weekend without becoming noticably flat.

If you don't then I would try the morning for sure. I've never tried filling a bottle without a CPF, but the air-to-beer ratio will be a lot higher in a bottle, so I'd be nervous too. I'm sure someone here has tried it, and will chime in soon.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
timm747

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Baltimore
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not worried about doing this on a regular basis, just wanted to take some in tomorrow for a taste testing...

Thanks for the info, I have a growler from the local brewpub maybe I'll put some in that in the morning and take it.

T

Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
carrotmalt
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Check out this thread. I've done it this way in a pinch. I lost a little carbonation, but I'm sure it's much less than pouring straight into the bottle w/o back pressure.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts

The BMBF is the way to go, esp in situations where you just want to bottle a few beers off of a keg. They key is keeping your flow very slow. I don't get any foam when filling this way.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
ibrewit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
North Aurora, IL

I use the BMBF to fill bottles and growlers (with a larger stopper). It works great.