Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Popcorn Cream

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
KAMMEE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm making a "Classic American Pilsner" with 2 lb of un-popped popcorn. Do you have any thoughts on absorbtion rates? Is this going to absorb more than a regular grainbill? I did a quick test with about 3.5 ounces of popcorn and it turned out to hold about 87.5% of the liquid... so I am concerned that I'll need a little more than my typical 1.5 qt per pound ratio of water to grain.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Didn't know anyone else was using popcorn. Sun King here in Indy has been making a Popcorn Pilsner for 3 summers. It took home a silver at last years GABF. Using popcorn in a beer is definitely on my list of priorities. This recipe looks really good.
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently

Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #13
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMMEE View Post
I'm making a "Classic American Pilsner" with 2 lb of un-popped popcorn. Do you have any thoughts on absorbtion rates? Is this going to absorb more than a regular grainbill? I did a quick test with about 3.5 ounces of popcorn and it turned out to hold about 87.5% of the liquid... so I am concerned that I'll need a little more than my typical 1.5 qt per pound ratio of water to grain.
I have not really noticed a difference in grain absorption. Popped corn, corn meal or base malt all seem to be close enough for my calculations. Popped corn dosen't get sticky like wheat or rye. I can loose some runnoff to those types of adjuncts but not corn.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maybe I'll just give it a go and try my normal amounts and make it up in the sparge if needed. It sounds like you're happy with it and the pictures seem to suggest that it'll absorb a normal amount of water so I'll leave my worries, relax and have a homebrew.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #15
AndytheBeave
Galactic Hopeful
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 39

This looks really interesting. I am going to brew this today but I am going to use washed S-04 and NB hops (as that is all I have on hand today). I was also thinking of adding a pound of biscuit malt (as I am addicted to it) for a bit more character. I will post the results if I don't bugger it up.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheBeave View Post
This looks really interesting. I am going to brew this today but I am going to use washed S-04 and NB hops (as that is all I have on hand today). I was also thinking of adding a pound of biscuit malt (as I am addicted to it) for a bit more character. I will post the results if I don't bugger it up.
Did you ever try this with the biscuit malt? I was looking to use this exact recipe plus some biscuit for an even more grainy/toasted grain flavor. I love the corny/grainy approach in this style. Maybe even purposely get some dms into it?

Old 05-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #17
AndytheBeave
Galactic Hopeful
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn View Post
Did you ever try this with the biscuit malt? I was looking to use this exact recipe plus some biscuit for an even more grainy/toasted grain flavor. I love the corny/grainy approach in this style. Maybe even purposely get some dms into it?
It's funny you bring this up. I did in fact brew this with biscuit malt and it turned out really nice - I love the profile that biscuit brings. I brought a growler of it to a local brew pub for the brewmaster to try and he thought it was good as well. He had a chuckle at the use of popcorn in the mash. He was saying how neat it would be to do it on a commercial scale but how in the world would you be able to get popped pop corn on that scale?
I am going to brew it again with the same malt bill but this time I am going to use Saaz for flavour and aroma.
I was also wondering about trying to bring out a hint of diacetyl for this. Buttered popcorn! hmm. Maybe not.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #18
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
It's funny you bring this up. I did in fact brew this with biscuit malt and it turned out really nice - I love the profile that biscuit brings. I brought a growler of it to a local brew pub for the brewmaster to try and he thought it was good as well. He had a chuckle at the use of popcorn in the mash. He was saying how neat it would be to do it on a commercial scale but how in the world would you be able to get popped pop corn on that scale?
I am going to brew it again with the same malt bill but this time I am going to use Saaz for flavour and aroma.
I was also wondering about trying to bring out a hint of diacetyl for this. Buttered popcorn! hmm. Maybe not.
Haha I like the story with the brew pub. I love the spice that saaz gives my cream ales around 16 ibu. Here is what I am looking at for my cream ale. My approach is a cream ale that has a decent crisp mouthfeel with some creaminess to it. Very high carbonation of course. Flavor will be dry with a nice grainy wheat-like base and a very subtle dms flavor (the "corniness"". Here is the recipe I am looking at. Give me your thoughts if you would since we seem to think quite a bit alike.

FOR 5.5 GALLON BATCH:
-6 ROW 4 LBS (36%)
-GERMAN PILS MALT 3 LBS (27%)
-POPCORN 2 LBS (18%)
-FLAKED OATS 1 LB (9%)
-BISCUIT MALT (9%)

1.049 ORIGINAL GRAVITY

SAAZ HOPS AT 16 IBU
30 MIN BOIL

SAFALE 04 DRY YEAST

Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 AM   #19
AndytheBeave
Galactic Hopeful
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorn View Post
Haha I like the story with the brew pub. I love the spice that saaz gives my cream ales around 16 ibu. Here is what I am looking at for my cream ale. My approach is a cream ale that has a decent crisp mouthfeel with some creaminess to it. Very high carbonation of course. Flavor will be dry with a nice grainy wheat-like base and a very subtle dms flavor (the "corniness"". Here is the recipe I am looking at. Give me your thoughts if you would since we seem to think quite a bit alike.

FOR 5.5 GALLON BATCH:
-6 ROW 4 LBS (36%)
-GERMAN PILS MALT 3 LBS (27%)
-POPCORN 2 LBS (18%)
-FLAKED OATS 1 LB (9%)
-BISCUIT MALT (9%)

1.049 ORIGINAL GRAVITY

SAAZ HOPS AT 16 IBU
30 MIN BOIL

SAFALE 04 DRY YEAST

nice! I love the addition of the pils in there. You should be able to turn it around pretty quick too. I think I may give this recipe a shot as well as I have a BBQ coming up....

Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #20
jcorn
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
nice! I love the addition of the pils in there. You should be able to turn it around pretty quick too. I think I may give this recipe a shot as well as I have a BBQ coming up....
I am looking for the pils to give me some nice grainy flavor. I just hope I don't get "too grainy" with both biscuit and pils. Six row seems pretty mellow to me. Alot similar to 2 row really. Hopefully the 30 min boil gives me a slight dms taste. May turn it into a 40 or 45.