Trumer Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sause

Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This beer is my new favorite lighter beer. It is what a pilsner should be bitter in the front slightly malty during the middle and hop presence at the end. I will spend the $5 a pint for this. But lucky for me I work at a liquor store, I get a case for about 4 times the price of a pint.

I agree, this is a great Pilsner. Can't get it in Washington. I had a few at the Falling Rock in Denver during GABF last year. It was a nice break from a lot of the big beers pouring that week.

I'm reviving an old thread to see if anyone's tried cloning the Trumer Pils yet? A friend has asked me to brew a clone of this for him for summertime.

I think it will be impossible to clone without duplicating the husk-less mashing thing they do (which produces a beer that I frankly don't care for, but is distinctive).

The other aspects of the beer are pretty run of the mill German Pilsner, so you'll end up with something closer to Bitburger etc if you use the same ingredients but mash with the husks, IMO.

So I just brewed my first beer in the beggining of February. My first beer was an attempt to brew a beer like Trumer. I aquired all the equipment to brew all-grain from the start. Here is the recipe I used and each time i taste it, I believe I got pretty darn close.

I had the Carboy in the garage for a solid 12 days with a constant 50 degree temperature, moved it inside the house for the last 48 hours for a diacital rest. The yeast I used was the Fermentis Saflager S-23, the final gravity was 1.010. Racked it to a 5 gal. keg to lager for a month. The beer is in the 3rd week of lagering and the only flaw I can find is chill haze. Next time I brew this I will try a step mash starting with an acid rest. It is also possible I did not use enough Irish Moss, the same mash with say a teaspoon of Irish Moss may make a difference.

I know it's an old post but someone else may be looking.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Trummer Pils Clone
Author: Roy Smith

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: German Pilsner (Pils)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048 Actual OG: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.013 Actual FG: 1.010
ABV (standard): 4.55%
IBU (tinseth): 26.82
SRM (morey): 3.08

FERMENTABLES:
9.5 lb - Pilsner (95%)
0.5 lb - Carapils (5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Saaz (AA 3.5) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Saaz (AA 3.5) for 40 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Saaz (AA 3.5) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Saaz (AA 3.5) for 20 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Saaz (AA 3.5) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.25 qt, Single Infusion
2) Sparge, Temp: 180 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 2.7 qt, Batch Sparge

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tsp - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil (increase to 1 tsp.)
1 each - Immersion Chiller, Time: 15 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast S-23
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temperature: 48 F - 59 F

Edit: the Trumer web site does indeed say the grains are separated from the husks, I skipped that and mashed with the husks. Also the website says "highly carbonated" so I carbonated at 3.2 volums of carbonation.

So reporting back on the first run at making this beer.

The first batch was vary tasty, side by side comparison my, beer had a chill haze. Everything else was a match. The two batches I have brewed of this are already gone! So by the time I got near the bottom of the Keg the beer had cleared up and the taste had really cleaned up.

I brewed this on April 10th; this is my third batch of this recipe it is in the fermenter, inside a lagering mini fridge at 50 degrees. I modified the process by lengthening the mash to 90 min., batch sparge and collected 6.84 gallons of wort. I boiled it for 90 min and changed my hop additions to 2. I added a half oz. of Saaz with 40 min. left on the boil and 1 oz. with 10 min. left on the boil. After chilling down to 45 degrees I transferred to the primary and it was much clearer than the previous attempts, right from the get go.

I will give it the full 3 or 4 weeks to lager prior to consuming it this time.

Back